Old 03-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Eccentricity
Escapist

Gametype: Escape
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEXEMP View Post
Late reply:
I made a map called escapebasex1.And remade Heavymachinery.As far i know Im the only one making these, style maps.At the time.
Hey there, VEXEMP!

A few friends and I played your escapebasex1 last night, and though some of the puzzles were decent, there were several things we thought might improve the map as a whole.

Firstly, practically all of your doors kill on close! We much preferred the slight damage taken in your remake of k_thegame if a door were to close on your head.

The props are a slight issue as well - they fade out far too close to the players. We only needed to get between 20 and 30 feet away from a prop before it was completely invisible.

Also, there were far too many jumping puzzles. I understand that those kind of puzzles are a staple of escape maps, however you had four(!) of them in a row. Variation is always good; utilize different types of puzzles to give the players more variety as they progress towards the end.

As a side note to the above, you had sequential instances of other puzzles as well (the large, spinning wheel with the spinning drums right afterward). Mix up the placement of your puzzles a little; having more than one jumping puzzle is okay, but don't put two or three side-by-side.

One last thing that choked us was a mix of false sense of direction, and too little feedback.

There were several parts where we came across an obstacle thinking it was a puzzle - only to realize that we were supposed to ignore it. The best example of that would be the second floor in the room with the second turret you encounter. There was a pipe spewing damaging steam; however there was a valve in the centre of the pipe, as well as a door on the other side of said pipe. Thinking we needed to reach that door (why put a door you can't open on the other side of an apparent obstacle?), we tried to turn the valve on the pipe - only to discover that it does nothing. Through over 15 minutes of trial-and-error, we decided to leave that entire floor alone.

As for the "lack of feedback", the switch in the hallway on the third floor of the same room had no indications as to what it was supposed to do. We had everyone in the map up there, thinking this way the way to progress - only to find out we had to push a switch that did something somewhere we were unaware of. It took several minutes to discover it was cutting power to the previous room.

Remember that these are friendly criticisms from one mapper to another! Take them to heart when you create your next level, and I'm sure it will be better than the last!

Last edited by Eccentricity; 03-20-2010 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Eccentricity is offline   Reply With Quote