View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #91
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Offensive Engineers wouldn't be a problem if the devs stopped trying to force certain classes to work only in certain roles. The best way to do things is to just implement classes and let people play the goddamn way they want to. Besides, if most people are playing the classes different than you envisioned, that might be a hint that you need to give up your vision, because it isn't fun at all.

I made a suggestion a while back for a way to prevent blatant o-Engineers. Make Sentry Guns deploy with 10% health and slowly ramp up to 100% and become a better killing machine than it is now. The only way to get the gun up is to have a break in between the offense, and then continuously pushing on offense to keep the gun locked down then becomes an actual strategy. Dropping a gun in someone's face or outside someone's spawn would just get destroyed immediately due to the time required before it could begin firing.

Sentry nests? That's what the Spy should be for. Give him some better anti-SG abilities, but you're going to have to scale them relative to the number of Sentry Guns in the area, because implementing a mechanic used to deal effectively with 3 or 4 sentries is just going to make the class OP as fuck against 1 or 2. Something like the Sapper in TF2, that drains at a rate relevant to the number of friendly Sentries in the area. The base rate should be mild, because getting 1 gun down should be an easy task already.

I'm not convinced that "finding the right values" is difficult. For the 2.42 patch, they suggested they would change the Sentry's push and damage values as a 'tie me over' before 2.5 releases in the next decade. Well, if it was that fucking easy, why didn't they do it before?

Last edited by Bridget; 11-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote