View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 AM   #34
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
The orangebox argument gets old fast. The game isn't popular because it appeals to niche gamers not because it's on an specific engine. What changes when you port the same niche game to another engine? Nothing relevant to real success, that's for sure. It's still the same game that people don't like or can't integrate into just on a different engine.

Besides, the differences between engines seems more tailored toward the developers and not the player. Sure, stats would be cool, but who cares about stats in a game with no real fanbase? It's a waste of people's time and effort porting to orangebox as well as a massive delusion for anyone who thinks simply moving the same unappealing game to a slightly different engine will end up being the saving grace. This is especially true if you think it would compete with TF2. /rofl

Just let it go and move on. Seriously.

Since you brought up the debate Bridget I'll humor you. I don't believe people here have made the argument that niche gamers are looking for games on a specific engine to play. However, by moving to the OrangeBox engine the following things would increase:
  1. The number of available players. Fresh new players are purchasing games on newer engines, not games that were developed 6-7 years ago. No one is going to go out and get a HL2 game to try our free mod.
  2. Developers and modelers aren't rushing to learn the HL2 engine. They are learning and have a growing community in the OrangeBox community. This development team has had a shortage of both for several years now. Staying on the old outdated engine is not going to increase our resource pool.
  3. The code is superior to that of the HL2 engine, hands down.
  4. The modeling and graphical capabilities, player movement, etc, are all far superior in the Orange Box then HL2, watch a heavy walk in FF and one in TF2 and tell me you don't see the difference.

These are 4 points I consider to be the main arguments for a TFC non TF2 OB game. FF just ported over isn't going to attract players, but it would increase our resource pool to make the game better.
You may not feel that better graphical capability, better movement, more developers, more modelers, and a more streamlined engine isn't relevant to success. I do see those as relevant points. Seriously.

Scuzzy