View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan6 View Post
Whenether the kid's choice to bring the clock to school was bright or not, the 'authorities' handled it extremly poor. OK, in a country that experienced 9/11, Boston Marathon bombing and possibly others I'm not aware of being a muslim and bringing such a suspicious looking device might not be the best idea, but it still shows the paranoia in people, the islamophobia, stereotypes and generalisation. "Doesn't mean that his judgment is any different from his peers". If by peers, you mean fellow muslims or immigrants then that is indeed getting it generalised. Does it mean he will end up in the world of terrorism? Probable. Improbable. We can't simply make assumptions based on race, religion and ethny.
I think you may have misunderstood the point I was making. When I posted:

"The kid is 14 and having demonstrated ability in the engineering space doesn't mean that his judgment is any different from his peers."

The use of "his peers" means "other 14 year olds". I'm not saying anything else about any other obvious or less obvious characteristic he may possess. In general 14 year old children are idiots. This particular 14 year old may have a strong affinity and aptitude for engineering but, at 14, it's generally safe to assume that his critical thinking skills may take some time...not to mention social skills.

I've heard a few variants of this story now which tells me that we're seeing reporting couched as being solid details where the facts are still coming out. We also have the possibility that there are people contributing to the news cycle that are lying. Time will tell.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote