Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
I would assert that a LOT of both experiences consists of a lot of what the human brain does to provide comfort. The near-death experience lot is obviously comforted by a strong feeling that "this isn't the end, it's just unpleasant" and the "whispers from beyond" crowd is comforted by the fact that there is something beyond.
Yes, but this is the point I was trying to make. As someone who hasn't had the experience, you naturally can make that arguement. Are you wrong? In some cases, perhapse. In my particular case, I assert and attest to it being more than that. I will attempt to explain:

I have had dreams of Rose(my late wife). Some have been contacts, while others were simply dreams. I can't prove that, but I will say that I can tell the difference between the two experiences. As Mr. Spock told Dr. McCoy, "You wish me to explain how it feels to be dead?"
"Well, yes, Spock, you truly have been where no man has gone before."
"I'm sorry Doctor, it would be impossible to discuss the subject without a common frame of reference."
"You mean that in order for us to discuss death, I would have to die first?"
"Yes."

It's a bit like saying, "Don't put your arm into that fire, it will hurt." A similar arguement can be said of that. Until you personally have the experience, how do you really know? Of course in this example, you can prove it without doing too much damage. Still, would you really want to?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote