Old 06-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Story != essay! Credge fails!

But let's consider it in a less verbose way. Jimmy the Voodoo Priest has powers of the divine and the universe. Shamans have power over spirits. While spirits may have emotion and dedication, they simply do not have power over the universe and divine.

Vodou Priest would win.
Lolwut.

sto·ry 1 (stôr, str)
1. An account or recital of an event or a series of events, either true or fictitious

es·say (s, -s)
1. (s)
a. A short literary composition on a single subject, usually presenting the personal view of the author.

Weird. I wrote an essay describing the views of the author (me) that neither would win in the format of a story. People often get confused that the two are not exclusive.

Also, voodoo is all about worshiping the right spirit for the right ritual, much like what many shaman believed they had to do from an incredible number of different tribes and religions. The difference being that shamans usually worshiped an animal spirit while voodoo priests usually worshiped things like the spirit of the dead (Baron Samedi, who looks like this according to american voodoo lore... I'm clueless about the 'real shit'). Neither really go into the holy or the divine and both would be without Cleric spells in a real D&D game. They would both play similarly to the Druid with the priest having some necromancer curses, charms, and possibly a raise dead spell.

But this isn't D&D.

A shaman would, naturally, have more strength than the priest while the priest would have more agility. The reason? Shaman are generally thought to be part of barbaric tribes while priests, specifically of the voodoo variety are known for being wiry. This already gives a classic fight of strength versus agility.

But to go even further, a shaman... a proper shaman, could 'turn into a bird or a bear, or whatever'. He could also summon the spirit of these animals to gain increased strength, speed, etc. A voodoo priest HAS to have a part of the person, either a part of their body or something personal, in order to cause harm to the other person. Once they have that, they can do as they please AS LONG AS the person actually believes in it. This is the problem with voodoo.

Because of that, anyone that doesn't believe that a voodoo priest has power means that they can not be effected by anything he does. The shaman, because of the nature of the magic he wields, does not have this requirement. He, of course, has lesser magic so the balance is there.

But this isn't D&D.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote