View Single Post
Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
PHISH
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
but my thoughts on how you currently have it layed out is that 1 point for 1 kill means for things lower than that we have to use decimals and i don't like that makes it hard to understand not simple and intuitive. for instance i ws gonna make kills 5 so that i had 1,2,3,4 for things that were less than a kill
I remember this discussion back in like 2006 on the old dev forums and I think this was my suggestion: to make the scoreboard cleaner just truncate the extra digits on the scoreboard, but still sort players by the underlying full score # and keep the full point values and score shown in upper left for the player as-is. You don't have to muck around with changing a lot of point values and you avoid the decimal display situation. win-win...and should be the least amount of code change required.

i.e. if you have 2580 points and another player has 2530 points the scoreboard will show a simple 25 for both, but show you above that player. If you want the finer detail you have it in the upper left where it doesn't take up precious scoreboard space. TF2 actually ended up doing something similar to this- they have extra digit granularity but truncate the score on the scoreboard

Quote:
also i think TF2 had something right about rewarding teamplay mechanics over kills while its not totally what im gonna go by. i thinking having alot of team play mechanciels bieng less than akill brings back the same problem we have before it just being about k/d with capture points stats. when there playing with the team helping with objective there points should go up there points should go up more than if they go 25/5 and do nothing else they would have more points then if they just worked with the team and didn't help the team at all (unless ofc they were capping because tahts 10 but goes back to my orginal point.)
Things you do that benefit the team outside of killing players do already reward points (i.e. flag touches, killing sentries depending on the level, etc).

Just going 25/5 and hiding in your spawn will leave you with 2500 points...an offensive player going 17/44 but getting 10 flag touches, killing multiple sentry guns and getting a cap or two is going to end up with more points.

Best question to lay out is what is something you do to help the team right now that you feel is not currently recognized by the scoring system? And is it easy to measure?

Some of the old ideas we had that never made it in:
1) When your team captures the flag, +xxx points for anyone else that touched the flag prior to capture...rewards all the people who contributed to the final capture
2) Flag defense bonus +xxx points: Killing an enemy within x units of flag or killing an enemy who has your flag
3) homerun cap bonus +1.5x the defined cap value - a coast to coast capture is hugely valuable
12) Flag save (by offense): If a flag is going to return within x seconds and the player touches it, keeping it alive: +200 point bonus for that flag touch
13) Flag save (by defense): If your flag is returned, +200 points bonus for the player that made the last kill within x proximity of your flag (pretty complex...)
14) Relay after cap (defrags idea): +200 points to the player if touching the flag x seconds after your team caps.
PHISH is offline   Reply With Quote