Old 06-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #36
FreaK367
Everyones favorite FreaK
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout, Engineer and Sniper
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 17 Times
Damn, don't get so worked up.

I've been told before that if I dropped another detpack through the roof on destroy I would be kicked. That's freedom?

People do that all the time with no punishment, I think I've even seen OT members doing it, so if that's how it went down, that does seem unfair.

Rice got perma gagged for making about 4 "animal sounds" on the mic. That's freedom?

That's one of the basic rules, along with no swearing in chat, no mic spamming, including soundboards, general noise and people making animal noises. For whatever reason someone would want to make animal noises. But a simple appeal to be ungagged and saying he wouldn't do it again would get him ungagged. I should know, over the years I've been through everything, my first offense was a gagging which got removed after I appealed.

You contradict yourself. in one breath your stating how servers shouldn't have rules, and then the very next sentence you say how glad you are O-T has a filter that's so powerful I can't say racoon without getting slayed.

A better example would be you can't say jesus, without being slayed. There's less chance of someone needing to say racoon, than there is jesus (I use it as a common expression). I'm glad there is a filter because it makes it nicer than being on other servers due to the lack of constant insulting. But the OT language filter is too sensitive in my opinion. I think it should only filter the core swear words, not words like "Jesus" or "Intercourse" etc... so I share your view on the filter being too powerful.

only 150+ pages of banned members, check out all the freedom. and over 60% of the 155 pages are strictly on FF players. omg, I'm so happy there is a server with SOOOO much freedom.

Looking through the first few pages, the vast majority seem to be Hidden: Source bans. And from the people banned through the language filter, here is some of the wisdom that got them banned. These seem like stand up guys:

('GROWING UP IS FOR NIGGERS')
calling other players "Jew Fuck"
('NIGGERS')
= Very Common I find.
('Guys are niggers')
Telling admins to fuck off when asked to follow the rules.
('fuck you nigger')
Telling players to fuck off and that he'd rape their mothers via text, trying to get around the language filter.
Claims to be a sexual predator.
Asked to be banned, we comply with all such requests.
('U FAT FUCKING NIGGER GO SUCK SOME FAT COCK U FAGGOT BITCH HOE')
('SHIT NIGGER VAGINA')
('fucking shit dick niggercunts')
"I hate Jews"
('fagniggers')
('FUCK YOU NIGGERS WHITE POWER')
('FUCKING NIGGERS, GO BIN LADEN')

I could go on, do you really want to defend those kinds of people?

And some basic stats:

Total Players: 192,424
Total Banned Players: 4,869
Percentage of players able to follow the rules: 97.47%

It actually takes more effort to be part of the 2.53% that can't behave.

And with regard to the examples you provided, they all seem legit, what do people expect is going to happen if you join a group telling the Old Timers to fuck off, then joining the server to play? That's pretty obvious and I can't blame them.

Sexual stuff is obviously going to get you banned. Many OT members and members of the community let their kids and siblings play Fortress Forever, and OT is somewhere safe they can play where they aren't going to be introduced to masses of swear words, racism and sexual content. And when you're playing a First Person shooter, why do any of those need to be brought up?

I find it hard to believe the "Camping" one was on Fortress Forever, because most of the OT members only play a defensive class that requires standing still in a specific location for long periods of time. Usually Soldier or Demo.

If you ever ask for a ban, they will give you a ban. They give you what you ask for. Hopefully most people wont be stupid enough to ask to be banned for whatever reason.

I play whatever server is popular. I've played Talos as much in the past day as I have OT. So in no means am I exclusively playing a certain server. But so many people compare other servers to Old Timers, I use it as an example since it was the only server in FF with controversial rules before your server came along.

And you told me in Steam chat after I talked to you about the possibility of not allowing racism on your server, that you didn't want to tell people what to say or do or have any rules because you wanted your server to become more popular than OT.

From the person I was talking to then, to now and how much the server has been modified, it seems like you have given into peer pressure from people constantly talking in your ear who all have little issues with classes and limits. I can imagine you would be running a completely different server if you wern't trying to make everyone else happy and you just did what you wanted to do.

The best thing your server could be, outside of OT, would be like Talos, but considerably better, less lag issues, a general better server.., improved everything, including the addition of stats, proper voting, when the clock hits 00:00, it MEANS 00:00, and not 20+ seconds remaining. And of course time allowed at the end of the round, whereas Talos currently instantly changes to a different map. And other little things. The Talos server is a bit of a mess. An improved version of it would be welcomed, with no rules or limits.

And that would allow your server to take over more often. And maybe naming it after your Training Guild would work better, it makes a server seem more professional when there is a clan or guild behind it...

I went on FF yesterday, well before the usual time for OT to take over, and there was 11+ people on the Talos server... and people were complaining about the lag issues, and general state of the server. If FF just had an improved version of Talos, it could easily take over and become the 2nd most popular server on FF, maybe even 1st on some days.
FreaK367 is offline   Reply With Quote