View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 AM   #33
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
You're strawmaning pretty hard.

My argument: People should be expected to follow rules when seeking employment for a job. This includes an appearance standard. When people are rejected because they can't follow this standard, they are done so because of their inability to follow that particular standard. It says nothing about their personality or work potential.
I don't know that I've ever run across an appearance standard for the interview. Perhaps there are examples out there but I've never come across them. Appearance standards come into play for actual employees.
Quote:
I am against people concluding people's potential or personality off trivial shit like their personal appearance or choice of clothing or personal hygiene or something like that. That isn't to say I expect businesses to hire bums who don't shower and wear hole-ridden t-shirts while sipping beer and scratching their ass. I'm just saying, deny them a job for their inability to follow your customs. Don't judge their character or work potential off that.
I always had my receptionists note appearance and demeanor of those people dropping off applications or resumes for white collar jobs. Any person who doesn't bring their "A" game is not someone I have any interest in wasting my time interviewing. If you're dropping off materials with a prospective employer that are intended to win you an interview for a white collar job come loaded for bear or stay home. I think this is especially true in this tight job market. So you are against using personal appearance to evaluate suitability? I think it would be interesting to see if you hold that same view in 20 years. I also think it will be interesting to see what level of responsibility you hold at that time too.

Quote:
And no, just because someone refuses to follow one rule doesn't make them immediately irresponsible or contradictory. If I have the potential to be an amazing actor, but I deny an acting career because someone wants me to dress up in a chicken suit for every role I perform, that says nothing about my ability to act. It does say, however, that I don't want to wear a fucking chicken costume.
Wasted potential or wasted genius is absurdly common. How often is someone hired on potential versus education or (more importantly) accomplishments and experience? Failure to follow rules doesn't make someone anything. It's merely an indicator. It may be big or small. However, are you talking about rules that apply to interview or employment?
Quote:
So, to summarize: I am against partial judgment of people's character and potential for the most part. We should be considering people's actual personality. I never meant for this to be within the context of business. I was actually speaking just in a social context, until you started rattling on about your point.
Wasn't Battery's original post pertaining primarily to employment? Social non-business is different...but similar as well.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote