Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 PM   #409
TheKing

Class/Position: O/D Sniper, D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: s^., :e0:, -=[$D$]=-, -AA-, +SUF, .20, [AH(S)]-r, [ . ]-r
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka View Post
TheKing: one thing you do need to do is stop counter arguing by just turning everyone's arguments on their heads. doing it with bridget i assumed you were just joking around, but i'm yet to see you actually justify anything without doing the whole spy/engy/medic analogy thing.
That's my argument, that anything you say about the sniper can be said about other classes. 'Fitting' is a very subjective thing, I can only argue that by your own definition, many other classes don't 'fit' either (you're picking on the sniper). It's not to be annoying, but until you give me an example of exactly why the sniper doesn't fit that can't be applied to other classes that you think do 'fit' - you can't objectively say that the sniper doesn't fit.

If certain individuals try to pretend that they've reached some objective conclusion (which apparently is a big part of the arguments of certain people) then I'll continue to shoot them down. If they want to (finally) admit that this whole argument is very subjective and we simply disagree instead of just repeating their bad arguments, then we can definitely move on from there.

I feel that by nurfing the sniper you're eliminating an important part of the game and the direction that you're taking is to try to bring all of the classes closer together by removing some of the unique characteristics of classes (in these forums there have RECENTLY been arguments about the spy, medic, hw, pyro and removing some of the more unique qualities of each). I don't want to play a watered down version of TF where there is no long-distance game, no medic infection, no cloaked (or feigning) spies. All of these characteristics give a class a unique advantage in situations (but every class has an advantage in particular situations), and that's FINE. Hell, that's more than fine. I bore quickly of DM-only mulch-style play and don't want to play a game where all of the classes conform to this style of fighting - TF is about a wide variety of classes that each have particular advantages and DON'T NEED to be brought into the same group.

The sniper is not only my personal favorite class, but also a very important part of what TF is to me (not because it's been around forever, but because it provides an extra form of variety that is crucially important to the game). A handful of people (and these forums DON'T in any way make up a fair sample of the FF community at all) come in and bitch about the sniper (and many disagree). A lot of people bitch about half of the classes in the game (literally). IMO all of these classes 'fit' perfectly. Tweeking them a bit is cool, but the goal SHOULD NOT be to bring the abilities of the classes closer together. You're going in the wrong direction - please continue to make more unique classes instead of taking them away or making them conform to some uniform DM playstyle.

Last edited by TheKing; 02-09-2010 at 11:09 PM.