Thread: Bunnyhopping
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 07:32 PM   #9
moogle

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
This be the Moogle... I can teach anyone to bunnyhop. You start with learning to accelerate from a single strafe jump. A strafe jump is done by holding a strafe key of your choice (right or left), and turning the mouse at a certain constant speed, you then press jump (you can also continue turning that way in the air after jumping and get more speed if needed). Then you work on ONLY pressing jump to keep the speed gained afterwards: from the strafejump. Then you add in regulating strafe speed so you don't slow down or speed up too soon, and voila your bunnyhopping! You alternate using the right and left strafe keys (strafe jumping) when bunnyhopping while jumping in a way that you don't lose speed (as I mentioned you learn earlier).

If I was at your house I could teach you in about 20 minutes probably.

With strafejumping (and bunnyhopping), there is a speed which is the max turn speed of your mouse which generates the greatest speed gain before you press the jump key. When you hit jump you want to keep turning that fast as well (gaining more speed in the air). in Team Fortress Classic (TFC) the variable cl_yawspeed 293 is the ideal turn speed for maximum overall speed gains. From there just type in console +right or +left. Then you will see the optimum speed to turn!!! Just a really nice way to see how it works.

Ideally, in game, you sometimes turn faster or slower than the optimum-CONSTANT-turn speed for max speed gains to dodge/strategically plan your speed gains (especially so you don't max out or cap your bunnyhop speed too early - which is 175% a classes speed I believe).

It is easier to bunnyhop/strafejump with a generally lower sensitivity because when you turn there is a more constant speed which tends to generate the max speed you want.

Using an MX500, with 1000hz USB poll rate, I tend to want a sensitivity that lets me do 3 circles on my mouse pad. 4 circles on a standard mouse pad (when dragging the mouse from the farthest left to farthest right position) is hard to control and you shouldn't really go over that for bunnyhopping.

:P Yes it took me like 2 months to figure out bunnyhopping but it was worth it. Reading what I just wrote should cut that time considerably in half (I would hope and tried to help).

Now please don't hate on bunnyhopping anymore now you can see it as an appreciated skill :P

My instant messenger name is m00gle035 (zer0s, not O's)... AIM msg me and I will teach you when I can

Last edited by moogle; 09-26-2007 at 07:40 PM.
moogle is offline   Reply With Quote