Thread: gaming laptop?
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
when it comes to LCDs, you want something with a fast pixel response time. It's usually done in 'grey to grey' (GTG). For larger monitors the average seems to be 5ms. I'd recommend 2ms or below for gaming if you can find such on a laptop. anything higher I can notice when playing quake, it gets that blurring effect that was super bad with older LCD monitors.

To give you an idea, 16.7ms is 60hz so 2ms is quite good and acceptable for gaming. if you're a hardcore 800x600 @ 125hz CRT quakeworld gamer you'd probably notice but otherwise you're good. The BAD thing is most laptop specs dont list the response time of their LCD monitors so you might ahve to do some digging. I think it'd be safe to bet they're at least 5ms though.

Personally, I think trying to find a gaming laptop is an oxymoron, either too much of a sacrifice / too expensive. But its certainly an option especially if you play not the latest freaking games.

It all comes down to a ridiculous budget in the end. If I had the money I'd go for
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214050

or comparable if you want an ATI mobility card. some of those cheaper laptops with Intel integrated video can probably run source mods fine

Last edited by Dexter; 11-01-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote