View Single Post
Old 05-28-2015, 12:22 AM   #10
_BEAN_

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogdan6 View Post
Not necessary that they are teaching it, but more than the fact that they are teaching it the in the "tunel way". I'm personally fascinated by all sorts of religion and am willing to learn by anything from anyone, except around here the religion class is almost like going to church, you go there only to hear your priest saying to come at his church, share his belief and how much the other sect a few blocks away totally got religion wrong and should be boycotted.

Don't really know if I have an actual comparision term to you, imagine something like Westboro Baptist become it's own "confession" and it would be recognized by the state and suddenly it's members would educate your kids in your school. I'm exagerating a little bit with this, but probably you got the idea.

The problem around here is that religion is pretty messed up. Recently we decided to not give it that much importance and remove it from an obligatory class in school, yet anyone who considers entering politics is required to have a monodeist (yes, they are picky) religion to be allowed.
Another thing is that, as far as I know, in the US there are a bunch of confessions, from Orthodoxism and Catholicism to Mormons and don't what other kind, but none of them are proclaimed the "official confession/religion of the US" as far as I know, while here the Orthodox church is recognized as a state institute and others are neglected because they are "unofficial".

Going back to the class problem, I was born orthodox and always attended this classes and as a child never saw any kind of problem with this personally, but I saw my teacher being picky and discouraging people with other beliefs from attending the class and then talking behind their back and blaming them if they dropped it, which this kind of behaviour divides people, for a good part when I was around 7 I always asked people about their religion and managed how much I interracted with them based on that.
Furthermore, I've read about cases, such as teachers punishing their students for not making the cross sign (common at catholics and orthodox) during the prayer at the beginning of the class, this can be compared to your Pledge of Allegiance, where it can get you in trouble if you don't do it (as far as I know, which again as a non-american, I do not agree with it).
When the pledge of allegiance was done in US public school you could always opt out. There were kids in my class that were Jehovah's Witnesses that did not have to say the pledge; they just sat in thier seats while everyone else did.

As far as your statement about your teachers running people down. Because you see one or two people doing something inappropriate does not mean that everyone does. Look at the way many atheists treat those who believe in God. Do you really believe they have an open mind as they belittle others? Can I state all atheists are ignorant people? No. Not to seem rude to your beliefs or anything, but I have dealt with far more zealots who are brainwashed by science textbooks that flat out lie to them then people who force their religion on others.

Last edited by _BEAN_; 05-28-2015 at 09:46 PM.
_BEAN_ is offline   Reply With Quote