View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #51
VMX

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
Seeing the other guy hasn't shown for quite a while, I'll offer my help in anything you need to translate it to Spanish.

Also, I believe those two entries are written like that just for comedy value (or I always thought that O_o)
Cool. I'll tell you what I came up with to solve the classes naming issue. Tell me what you think.

I think it's just absurd to leave something like "engineer" or "medic" untranslated. You'll later have to use it in the help texts, etc., and saying something like "Un engineer es..." is really weird in my opinion, because they're normal and usual profession names.

So I think that we could translate the most obvious classes, while leaving the others as they are in English, paying special attention at how people name them in TFC too.

So I thought that Sniper, Soldier, Medic, Spy and Engineer should be translated to their obvious Spanish counterparts, as they are single and normal words. While things like Scout, Demoman, HWGuy and Pyro should be left as they are, because you either need various words to translate them, or just there isn't a proper way to translate it without changing the meaning a little.

Scout and Pyro could be translated to 'Explorador' and 'Incendiario', like in TFC, but I think those don't really respect their real meaning so it would be better to leave them as they are. That way, Spanish players will have it easier when talking to English speaking people in-game about the classes.

Also, I believe sentry gun could be translated like in TFC, Arma centinela, and jump pad would be something like "Plataforma de salto", although it's a bit long... what do you think?

Detpack would also be good as "Paquete bomba", but I'm not sure yet...

You know, any opinions you have on this will be welcome.
VMX is offline   Reply With Quote