Old 01-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #49
Firefox11

Class/Position: O&D: Pyro, Sniper
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: FF.AvD [FF AvD/ID guild]
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork View Post
Perhaps I'm thinking of more like a avanti or ksour style and not dustbowl. I always found that while they can seem epic, games on the dustbowl/anticitizen style avd (one team never plays d) turn into trite spamfests that is frusterating to play with.

I really think these maps should be designed with the jump pad in mind, because there are many people like me that are interested in tricking in the middle of a fight and thinking outside of the box to get our objective complete.

I am very concerned that we have this wonderful tool to give players a temporary speed boost (thanks to the speedcap =() and now that it has been decided that we shouldn't play ctf in pub servers any more, that this game is going to lose all the momentum that attracted me to it.

Personally, I feel that if you want to play a slower game that can give you that epic feeling of winning a fight against all odds by the skin of your teeth, play TF2. It's a very nice game and has a pace to match that style of game.
I don't feel that this game needs to be slowed down any more than it already has been. Just my 2 cents.
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you are playing attack-defend or invade-defend, the fact that a jumppad gives a major advantage for very little risk is still there. For instance, in Ksour TFC I had seen games where the Defense could hold CP2 for over 10 minutes pushing at the ramp that leads to CP1 or even at the CP1 area. In FF (disregarding the fact that the spawns are a bit messed up, IIRC), you only need a jumppad and then all the Offense can get past the ramp in two seconds, making any Defense in that part almost useless and making the SGs go down faster, not necessary by skill but by an Offense swarm.

It's very noticeable on Ksour, due to being a small linear map, where the jumppad makes it unbalanced. On maps like Palermo, the jumppad makes little to no difference, since the height difference between spawns and CPs and distances make the use of the jumppad somewhat balanced. That's why the jumppad is also unbalanced on Dustbowl (very linear height-wise) and not very useful on the last CP of Anticitizen, where the Offense usually has to use strategy or sheer force to cap.

Basically, on linear or small maps the jumppad is unbalanced since it leads to Offense swarming, which the Defense cannot do anything to beat other than build a massive SG farm, which isn't as effective as it seems anyways. On bigger maps, the boost the jumppad gives only cuts a bit of time, and the difference on classes speeds break the swarm, allowing the Defense to actually defend properly. I'm not saying I don't want the jumppad, I'm saying that either the building is improved (dunno, cooldown timer after a jump, for instance) or maps will have to be designed around a feature that may be changed or removed in the future so its use it's balanced.
Firefox11 is offline   Reply With Quote