View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #26
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
Certainly ending the round is preferable--for both teams--to a shutout that lasts fifteen minutes. I wanted the scoring to be more straightforward--you get points by capping, so you want to be on offense as long as possible. If you do well on defense, your reward is getting back on offense.

Should the time limit be raised? Probably. I think I gave more time originally but I lowered it to create more tension, and so that more rounds would fit into a standard server time limit. But the new defensive tools certainly make it easier to stop fast caps now.

I can give harder cap points more time, but that will require more testing and research to get it right. I welcome your suggestions on this matter.
I really think a time limit in ADDITION to map time is the wrong way to go about this for several reasons:

-If you have double stalemates (say someone switches sides in between, which I saw actually), you can have a round over in 4 minutes + gate waiting time. This is not fun. AvD maps already end once the round is over. To have I/D maps end after a quick side switch AND time limits means less I/D time than CTF on a simple rotating server, pure and simple.

-If someone is JUST ABOUT to cap after having a rocky start, it can end abruptly and be a real "fuck you" to the team.

-It produces kind of an ADHD attitude towards I/D, like proclaiming the game over before it's really gotten anywhere. It reminds me of some RTS games where someone will quit as soon as they've had one battle loss. Some of my favorite games are ones where the team makes a comeback, this basically makes that impossible.

-It adds additional time pressure where you feel like the flag has to be moved forward as fast as fucking possible, whereas due to D buffs, waiting 10 seconds to allow your O heavy-hitters to break up D might make more sense. This discourages more tactics and promotes the old rush-rush-rush mentality.

-While I'm happy with the boosts to D, I think this is totally unfair mechanic for them on I/D. Now instead of having to hold 4 caps for as long as you can, you have to hold ONE cap for 2 minutes. I think this unfair to O and less satisfying for D. Again, just because the teams switch sides doesn't stop players from switching teams as well.

I've found most lockouts occur because of skewed teams, not a fundamentally flawed aspect of I/D. I really think the old timer system was fine, but if you feel like something needs to change after 2 minutes, maybe you could have it AvD style where alternate routes on the map open up after a fixed amount of time. Whatever you decide on, these time limits feel like an awful addition for an otherwise great patch.

Also I played ksour for quite a while (which did NOT have the time limit) and it felt great on both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreaK367
It seems like nothing good has went the way of Offense, yet defense get a better SG, a massively improved Heavy that is actually useful now, and the Soldier secondary is quite good now. And with the ideas flying around the forums, if the devs listen, the Engineer will become more powerful.
Well you have to understand that this in practice, is basically a balance patch against the changes made in 2.0 / 2.1 from 2-3 years ago. In those patches O received some real boosts (jump pads, flame jumping, reduced scout damage, extra spy abilities, etc.) and D was nerfed, particularly with sg push and hwguy effectiveness. The result was that some maps that had worked for years on TFC and 1.x FF became broken and it's been that way until now. It may seem D-centric, but this patch has been a LONG time coming for the O centric patches that have happened over the years.

As for the medic, I don't think the nailgun was much of a dealbreaker to begin with (that I noticed). Combining that with even less effective infection it feels like his nerfs may be unncessary.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 06-26-2011 at 06:33 PM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote