Thread: 2morforever
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 AM   #9
o_imbrifer

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll edit the top post to denote which screenshot is where. This map is based on AndyC's 2morfort1_1. I have had no luck trying to find the bastard - his old email account is dead and I can't find any way to contact him (the fact that 'AndyC' is not a unique handle doesn't help much either). If anyone knows how I can find him to ask permission (even though it seems a little late), please let me know.

SomeOldGuy:
The textures I'm using are the ones that come with HL2DM and hourpitures(sp) texture pack (only the rocks come from that, though). I don't have any textures which are indicator signs - if I find some, I'll surely put them in because not only do they help new players out, they also make the map come together more and seem more professional (in my opinion). If any texturers would like to make some, please let me know
I'll look into changing the top of the ramp, though it may be difficult. It's not really a step down, more of a step out from the platform the viewer is standing on to the top point of the ramp (the edge is curved), but again I'll see what changes I might be able to make.
The stairs are not really steep - they have a 8 height to 12 length ratio, which is pretty standard I believe. I'll release a beta once I get the smoothing groups and skybox going (and flip the bases) so people can snoop around and criticize it more, if they feel like it. Same thing with Jiggles comment about the wires - once I release a beta, let me know. I'm just a fan of wires in maps, so I might just be biased... Wait, what skybox bug?

Circuitous: Yeah, I played around with the windows for a long time. I tried flat glass panels, some ones with nice borders, and some more broken up ones. Hopefully I can either find some appropriate window textures in a texture pack somewhere, or the FF team will release some relatively fitting ones with their FFMDK. I actually changed it at the last minute - all of the windows in the big room were grates. Maybe I'll change them back...

Any more comments are welcome!

edit: Holy Crap the map won't open.. it says "Out of memory loading solid". Another message comes up saying "File C:\dir\2morforever.vmf, line 40429: error 7" Anyone have any idea how I can fix this? Can I just pop it open in notepad and do something to line 40429? Can I open a .dxf? Decompile the .bsp?

edit edit: well, I found a .bsp decompiler, and it worked but nothing is grouped and all brush-based entities were moved to world. Before I go back and arduously make everything func_details and grouped again, is there some way I can open the .dxf (what you export it to before you compile it)? Or any other way? And why does this sh*t happen to me? Blargh!
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote