View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #24
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
I have very little idea what I'm on about, but personally I never liked overpressure. I didn't find it helped me in any fundamental way at all (i.e. it didn't change how I'd play, probably because it's so occasional compared to the pace of the game), but just gave a handful of extra cheap feeling kills (even if those extra kills could sometimes be crucial like a flag carrier).

For me a key differences between the two DM defenders (soldier/HW) is stopping power. By giving the HW genuine stopping power (even if only occasionally) it muddies the waters. For example, before overpressure I liked that if you attack a route defended by an HW and do a great conc then you will essentially always get past (albeit damaged) whereas the same is not true of a soldier. It made the choices of where to attack, as well as defensive strategies, cleaner and better defined.

That said, if overpressure actually helps lesser HWs play to a workable level then maybe it's worth the extra complexity.

On that subject, I've always thought people judge HW's far too much on kills. More so than any other class it's often a very fine line whether or not the HW gets the kill assigned to him (even if his positioning/damage primarily facilitated the kill), plus when actually playing a match to win I'd intentionally go for far fewer kills than when just playing a pickup for "fun". Assists might help with that, but my main point is that maybe it's an issue of perception in that people think they/others are not good enough at HW for pickups just because they don't get high scores, whereas in reality they may be far from the weakest link in their team and possibly more effective than other HWs who rack up higher scores.