View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Ok, so if I'm wanting to go out and start finding a weapon that suits me, then I should go to a range and see if they rent out different guns? How much does it cost to rent a weapon where you are?
Well....I live near Reno, NV. So there's only one indoor range where you can do that and they have a decent selection. They also offer classes to help you get up to speed. Ballpark you can figure on about 50.00 total to cover the cost of rental, hearing and eye protection, ~50 rounds and your target. Honestly...not a bad price when you consider the cost of buying a weapon you've never shot and then decide you hate it and have to try to sell it...then buying another to try.

I think the better way is to figure out who you know that owns, is knowledgeable, safe and is happy to take you along. Failing that a class wouldn't hurt. If you have any inclination you really need to understand safe handling, storage, operation and cleaning.

Most states aren't as idiotic as California so there's a good chance you have resources close to you.

I recently went through the process of helping someone learn all of this....my wife. As part of the process I learned something that never occurred to me and something I completely took for granted....the noise. Walking onto a live indoor range to shoot pistols next to guys firing off semi and fully automatic weapons was no big deal for me. I like it. It was a shock to the system for my wife. It never occurred to me how unnerving the sound can be for someone who's never been around it. Now picture having to perform and shoot when that's going on around you....that's where practice and familiarity comes in.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.

Last edited by Innoc; 11-16-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote