View Single Post
Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #52
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YomMamasHouse
What profound meaning does faith have exactly? I have been trying to understand what was going on when I argue a point and then someone is like "it is all about faith, you just don't get it". Those people can be found in abundance at my school. They were right though, I don't by any means understand it. They make it seem like they should be taken seriously because the basis of their beliefs is faith, something completely insubstantial and baseless.

I have been trying to figure out what was going on but have failed for the most part.
It bothers me when people say things like "it is all about faith, you just don't get it" because that's a very condescending attitude. It is not a way to speak to someone about faith, it's an exclusionists attitude that turns people away.

I can not speak for all religions, or even Christiantiy as a whole, but I can give you my thoughts on the subject. I can say that faith is a personal experience that each person has differently. Faith is knowing with your heart that which you can not know with your mind. Faith is like love, you know "it is" but you don't know "why it is". In my personal opinion if you have a desire to understand faith you're feeling the Holy Spirit calling, and eventually you will understand faith, whether you want to or not.