Thread: func_occluders
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I also haven't been able to pin down what causes that error to occur either, Eradicatus. That's one of the things I'd like to go back to and try to re-create the problem so that I can figure out what exactly a func_occluder doesn't like to do.

Right now, we've used them somewhat sparingly in Hunted, but I imagine that we're going to be using them more and more as we use more and more models.

I can tell you that they aren't like func_areaportals in the regard that the "occluding" face can been traced to from more than one direction. The occluding face also doesn't need to be raised off of a brush.

So, for example, if you had a wall that you also wanted to occlude the models behind it -- the func_occluder that was behind the wall could be flush up against the wall; it does't need to be 1 unit off the wall or anything like that.

Another thing, which you probably already know, is that you put the occluding texture on the face that you wish to occlude "through." What I mean, is that the occluder works based on looking through it from the front and not vice versa. The occluder doesn't work if you're behind the occluder; even though, you're still "technically" looking through the occluder... but yeah, I think you get the idea.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote