View Single Post
Old 07-18-2010, 06:34 AM   #21
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born_In_Xixax
The TFC sentry was less aware - not sure whether it rotated slower (think so) or detected enemies less quickly/accurately - but the FF sentry seems to pick targets and start shooting much more quickly.
This is mostly true, however TFC speeds were also much slower. Now maybe conc'ing in was about the same, but for everyone else, the TFC sg could grab you dead to rights. So yes, FF guns lock on quicker, but everyone is moving quicker as well. I consider this an example of balancing to maintain a similar effect.

Quote:
However, the TFC sentry was much more disruptive. Once it acquired you, you were pushed/pinned/incapacitated/dead in extremely short order. It seems to take longer for even light classes to die from a FF sentry.
This is why the sg feels so weak now. AvD games relied heavily on this to prevent people from capping. In FF you can literally run right up to an sg. You probably won't live, but that's enough time to drop your payload and take it out (or to cap the flag). In TFC you could not walk right up to an active sentry, it was impossible. You had to approach it from an off angle, fly in, be a spy, etc. and had to use some real strategy and/or teamwork to your approach. The whole point of sentries was that it prevented people from just flying in and ending the rounds in a fraction of the time, like offense does now.

Quote:
As far as splash damage, I haven't noticed much difference from TFC - in either FF or TFC if you push right up against the gun you will receive rocket splash, but if you hang back a bit, all splash is blocked.
FF guns provide no splash protection. The only "protection" it provides is that the point of detonation is in front of your gun and doesn't extend past that, even though the damage and knockback does. I remember being able to hug TFC guns a lot of the time and it would block a lot of it. Even if I took damage, I would rarely be shoved back (thus preventing me from repairing my gun). Now I'm not necessarily advocating that an sg should be hugging his gun the whole time, but this is a notable difference between the two games and is a big part of the reason TFC guns stayed up so much longer and is worth considering for balance reasons. If you take this away or it can't be implemented (as is the case), it needs something more to compensate.

Quote:
It might be interesting to see the following metrics documented for TFC, FF 1, 2.1:
I think ground push and air push is essential to be included on that list in terms of comparing what's happened.

Quote:
In general I would like to see the sentry be more effective while up, but more difficult to get up - making success of the enemy team more dependent on getting the gun down and keeping it down. in TFC the HW/engy were the immoveable objects that the offense had to solve in order to succeed. IMHO the sentry is a bit anemic in FF - especially when facing the frenetically increased speed of all the offensive classes. (The HW is very anemic in FF, but that's a different thread...)
Couldn't agree more. I think the sentry should be an investment that can do its job rather than a half assed measure that's simply easier to get up. One idea I've seen proposed that's gotten ignored a few times is to have lock-on time related to where it's aiming. FF has great aiming controls. So if an enemy is running at a corridor that you have your gun TRAINED on, he is dead, end of story. However, if he comes from a side corridor that's 90 degrees off, lower the rotation speed so that the gun will take notably longer to rotate into position and start attacking. This solves multiple problems:

-It would create blind spots so O could still punch through (thus emphasizing their manuevering skill rather than just running in and ignoring it as long as possible)

-It's a way to beef the gun back up without overpowering it in every situation.

-It would add a little more strategy to the class by making risk decisions about the best place to aim your gun.

Last edited by chilledsanity; 07-18-2010 at 06:34 AM.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote