View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Actually I've had pretty good luck with Comcast here. The modem we got from them is finnicky as hell but they've walked us through getting it set up initially and when we changed out routers.

The only interesting story I have from them involves our service. We've got the 22 Mbps service, and have had it for a few months now. We're the only ones in the area that bothered to get it, as far as I know.

Anyway, at first we noticed no speed increase. We topped out at about 2,000 kbps down, roughly a 6 Mbps connection (according to the speed test's math). So we would call them and complain, and they'd say well according to this you've got the 22 Mbps. We're not sure what's going on, so we'll send a tech down.

So the tech gets here and scopes out the house, everything is fine internally, the routers are configured properly, the modem is functioning, etc. So he heads outside.

For those of you familiar with cable, you know that splitters are generally a bad thing, and they can pretty severely downgrade the quality of a signal coming through it. The tech came back in, 3 splitters in his hand, and told us that they were connected to the main cable, right as it enters the house, for absolutely no reason. He removed them, replaced the cable for good measure, and we should be fine now.

We checked the speed. 20,000 kbps. Best part, though? No charge for the service, and in fact we were refunded 3 months' worth of the difference between 6 and 22 Mbps service. That's pretty fuckin' hard to beat.