View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:53 AM   #89
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
High damage is relative. An uncharged shot relative to a single shotgun blast is damaging. Compared to a rocket, it is next to nothing. A full charged shot triumphs the explosive blue pipe, but is a scratch compared to a Mirv grenade. How do we define high damage?

Likewise, if distance is what defines the Snipers, then would you agree that a Sniper playing base defense gibbing enemies at close range with his sniper rifle is temporarily no longer a Sniper? What if I fire a rocket, however slow, from across the map and hit someone coming out of their battlements. Is the Soldier now a Sniper? That rocket is high damage relative to everything weaker than it. (Yet, weak to everything stronger than it.) so am I a Sniper or am I not a Sniper? Who knows.

My argument is that semantics is useless. "We shouldn't change him because he won't be a Sniper anymore!" is not a compelling argument for two reasons: 1. How do we even begin to define a Sniper? and 2. Balancing the game out to be fair for everyone involved is much more beneficial than clinging to a broken class just because 'the name fits'.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote