Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Jesus christ, that argument is so tiring. Let me try and dumb this down for you. Let's say our goal is to produce a list of foods. This isn't just any random list. We want all of the items in the list to adhere to the same principle: They must contain flour. (in context: being most effective at approximately the same ideal ranges as every other class.)
This argument is all well and good, but the question then becomes, "Why must all the things in the list contain flour?"

That's where your argument becomes irrelevant, and it's also when we enter a much grayer and potentially more subjective area. What makes containing flour a non-arbitrary distinction? Why is it important that all the things contain flour?

In terms of design goals of the FF dev team, I can say we have decided that we want combat to last a decent length of time, we want combat to be interactive, and that we don't want one player (or team) having fun at the cost of another. I think it'd be hard to argue that the sniper doesn't in some way break all of those. But that stuff could also be described as arbitrary and/or subjective (though there is reasoning behind each of them).*

At this point, the discussion may only be able to be cyclical and subjective. But, I keep wanting to go back to a post I made in the Sniper doesn't belong thread that I don't feel got too much discussion but I still feel strongly about. It might have flaws, but I'm not sure they've been pointed out (CUJO pointed out one potential one but I think it can be rebutted). If sniping as a combat style negatively affects mulching as a combat style while mulching does not affect sniping, then we just simply can't have both in the same game. Is any part of that not true?

* While skimming the Sniper doesn't belong thread, I found a post where I said basically the exact same thing

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 07-26-2010 at 05:24 AM.