View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #27
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternity94
Really, that comparison would only make sense to me if you saw a picture of the game, played it, then your whole T.V broke in two. Honestly if you saw pictures of the game before you bought it, you probably would have seen the colors before hand.

It is done like that on purpose. Many people has seen Washington D.C or at least seen pictures of it and most of you know it is a very hilly area with a lot of foliage and greens that also contain a lot of brown and Grey with the buildings. The point is for you to look at the Washington D.C it is today and then see it... Destroyed!!!

It is supposed to be a very compelling thing to see the Washington monument pretty much destroyed, The national buildings used for murderous activity, especially if you live in America it's really supposed to strike something in you.

The ugliness is supposed to contrast the real thing which is actually quite beautiful in colors.

Of course if your looking at it from a pure objective standpoint, it will look ugly.
No, your example is off entirely. Besides, there's no issue with the guitar. It's playable. It's just that what was advertised and what I got are not the same.

The problem, as I said over and over and over and over again, is that the contrast is absolutely terrible. I get washed out blacks on about 60% of the different texture types during the day. DURING. THE. DAY. Is this such a hard concept to understand?

It's got nothing to do with the scenery.

Quote:
The scenery is ugly, as it's supposed to be. I get this.
It's got everything, EVERYTHING, to do with the really poor job they did with the contrast on release.

If it happened everywhere I wouldn't feel so bad as it would just be a monitor setting. Since it ONLY happens outside, the issue was a design choice. Upping the brightness just makes those washed out blacks a washed out grey that doesn't show any detail. This is ugly.

U.
G.
L.
Y.

If you don't understand the difference between the contrast being wonky in certain areas (about 95% of the playable game) and the game being made purposefully ugly because it fits the theme and the game... then I don't know what to say. I'm not commenting on the models, the textures, the level design, the color pallate, none of that. I'm commenting on why the contrast level if different outside than it is inside. I'm commenting on why, whenever I'm in an outside environment during the day, my screen is filled with a washed-out black color.

One color.

One.

That color is a black that my monitor can't reproduce. My monitor can't reproduce it because the contrast levels are all sorts of horrible. The black at the end of the brightness bar? That's washed-out. The black on the "War... it never changes" dude? Washed-out as well. Half of the terrain in the outside world? Washed-out.

I'll have to post comparisons for you so you can understand that I'm not complaining about the locale or the scenery, but the deliberate choice the developers made with contrast.

I know this is a choice the developers made as it doesn't happen indoors where the contrast is normal but does happen outdoors where the contrast is poor. This doesn't happen in any other game I play either.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote