Thread: ffdev roll call
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #226
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Little over board there Jon. These are like, just my opinions man.

But no seriously, that's my opinion of VR. And I mean, it's not like I'm saying it isn't cool. I really do want to play some VR games, I'd love to play elite dangerous in VR, or some exploration games. I'm sure it's a breath taking experience. But then I'll take it off and go back to playing games without it.

I'm not saying it's niche because it's not good enough, it's just by default niche. What does VR really have to offer to games that aren't first person? Maybe it can make the experience slightly more cinematic? Nothing big though really.

2D fighting games, RTS games, third person rpgs/shooters. What does VR have to offer for Owlboy, rocket league, or kerbal space program? That's a wide array of games VR doesn't cover.

It's real place is in first person experiences. And when it comes to shooters, you'll never see it used competitively. Not unless it's a vr only game. But you'll never see a CSGO tournament, or the like, where everyone is hooked up to VR.

And that's not to say there isn't room for casual VR use in shooters. Even still I really don't think it's going to be anyones main play style. Perhaps they'll use it here and there, but I don't see anyone who's going to play multiple hours a day use it all the time.

Anyways what's my grand plan?

I'd rebrand entirely. At the very least drop the "Forever". FF had a rocky past, and the only people who like the "forever" brand are the 45-75 of us who still play. Rebrand the game, rebrand the classes. Don't name you're main offensive DM class the "medic". Don't name your weakest class something that might lead others to believe he's a DM power house based on other games.

Bring all the assets up to date obviously.

The game really needs a new objective game mode. Something that, you know, has an objective, but still puts a strong emphasis on movement and DM. CTF is great, but it's flawed in many ways, and it's not beginner friendly. Imo the mode needs to be a mirrored objective (both teams working towards the same goal, like warpath both teams do the same thing). That keeps it balanced and gives both teams a full selection of viable classes. (as opposed to some classes only being good at O and D, a mirrored mode lets both teams play O and D at the same time sort of, making all classes useful)

Add all that new shit kids like these days, skins, matchmaking, stats, achievements.

And then the real key is to say nothing till about 2 weeks or so before release and you do your PR push. So rather than letting people watch the struggles of development (that's not a personal bash, all development cycles are a struggle buss, I don't care if you think you're a god, there will be set backs, delays, disappointments to over come) and spreading out all your potential hype over how ever many years, where people may come, check it out, leave, forget or lose interest. Instead you get a release where everyone get's to check out the finished product on the same footing at the same time.

You'll get a much bigger initial boom. And some of those players won't like it and leave. But instead of having them figure that out before it's even released, you get to have them figure that out while adding to the player count for the people who do like it and want to stay. And that player count is going to help bring in new players who also might stay or leave.

I fully believe the biggest reason for DOA game releases these days is the whole 1-2 years of open beta. Stretches the hype train too thin, runs its course by the time it's released.

And in all that development time you can do what ever you want. Adjust classes and balance, add new things. Put in VR. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's actually a very smart business move. A solid FPS with VR support will bring in a certain crowd. It just won't make the game.

I'm not trying to shit on your parade. I'm all for a new fortress, and the last thing I want is to see you to continue supporting FF when it's not going any where. The only thing that could bring FF back would basically require making it a new game anyways.

I'm just trying to be realistic, and those are my opinions on the matter.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-25-2016 at 10:20 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.