View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 PM   #88
Sh4x
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
It's a fundamental of games design, that abilities which improve your gameplay whilst not detracting from the abilities of your enemies are more fun to play with. Furthermore, abilities which don't require interaction between players are also worse. If you want to debate the fundamentals of games design then we'll be in for a looong (and interesting!) discussion - but i'd rather keep it out of this thread if possible
Stopping you dying doesnt count as an improvement to gameplay.

I was actually talking about your own (friendly) offense, when you play with friendly fire on. I dont think caltropping your best medic is a bonus

You don't empty a tin of grenades outside your spawn that stay there forever and detonate on impact. Grenades disappear in a matter of seconds, caltrops don't.

Are you telling me that when you play against a scout you have to constantly be watching the floor for caltrops just in case he's dropped some while you weren't watching? And you're trying to argue that walking around watching the floor for little spikes is somehow 'deep' and 'strategic'? :P

Walking around a spike on the floor isn't anything to do with being 'smart'. It's being aware that they are there. If you didnt see the scout drop them, and you arent watching every inch of the floor as you move around, then you might accidentally tread on one. Awesome move mr scout! You outwitted a soldier! (not!)

If you're using caltrops mid combat vs a soldier then you aren't going to cap many flags. Scouts typically conc/slide/run straight past them or die trying. So what if you throw a load of caltrops at his feet. He'll still nail you with the grenade he has primed, the 4 rockets in his RPG and the 16 shells in his shotty. Caltrops are only used 'on the way past', or to 'hide them to catch them off guard', like when he resupplies, hide them around the corner or in the spawn door. There is no interaction and no strategy here, and further backs up my point that they are only used as an accidental 'dirty trick' to play on unsuspecting players.

So yeah, I know sometimes they are fun, but hopefully you'll come around to the fact they were more detrimental to the enjoyment of the community as a whole

Wow... Aftershock, I don't think you need to justify yourself like this. The game's been moving alot more since you took over and you're bringing fresh and interesting modifications that are more than welcome. This new patch looks very interesting so keep up the good work! KubeDawg's arguments are non-sense to me anyways, I feel he's just bitching because someone has to bitch when the game gets a face lift.