Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
When you're speaking, it's not much of a difference.... but when you're typing, it's annoying as shit to see someone type wrong, and think it's perfectly fine. I mean, I understand that typo's happen... and I don't nit-pick those. But seriously... learn the language you speak!
Much of a difference from what? Why do you use four periods in the first ellipsis but decide from then on upon three? Beginning a sentence with a conjunction is considered grammatically incorrect. You have a dangling participle in the second sentence. You state ", and think it's perfectly fine." Who are you talking about? Does the person typing incorrectly think it's perfectly fine? Maybe the act of seeing it perfectly fine to type wrong is concluded to be annoying as shit? As pointed out, you also incorrectly form the plural of the word "typo" which should be "typos". The apostrophe and S are for possessive noun infliction. Also, why do you use ellipsis constantly when simple commas would suffice? Again, you begin a sentence with a conjunction, and overuse ellipsis. Last, your imperative command at the end of your rant is insufficient. You need to state specifically, the following: "Learn to write the language which you speak." As you can see here, I have criticized your grammatical errors. This obviously makes me a better person than you.

No, but on a serious note, the English language is a difficult language. This is why I have become more forgiving when criticizing people's grammar. A lot of native English speakers think the language is easy because they were brought up learning it, but that's the privilege right there. Here are some examples for why English blows dick:
  1. 10% correspondence rate! English has 40 major sounds but only 26 letters to represent them. Some of our letters are merely the pronunciations of other letters, making them redundant, such as 'c' merely being a confused letter not knowing whether it should sound like the already existant 'k' or 's' or even letters like 'x' and 'q' which are self-contained consonant clusters 'ks' and 'kw' respectively. You know texting? It's almost always phonetic. Can you blame them now? It's only intuition. They are escaping a terrible non-phonetic alphabet.
  2. Overcomplicated aspect system for verbs. Many languages get by with a single aspect, something indicative. I played, I play, I will play. Some languages have a simple system for determining whether something was completed (I played) or was not (I was playing) such as Russian. English, on the other hand, has a bunch of fucking overcomplicated aspects. Take for example the following sentence: I will have had gone to the park many times tomorrow. This statement informs the reader that, in the future, you will have performed an action in the past, and successfully completed it. Yeah, that's right, tenses in fucking tenses, bro. That's just one example.
  3. Adjectival ordering system. In other languages, you can get away with adding the adjectives randomly, but not in English. The combination "The cute little dog" sounds correct to the native speakers ear, but utter the words "The little cute dog" and it just doesn't sound as correct. To the non-native there's no difference. It all means the same, and it does, but we are so fucking picky about shit it isn't even funny.
  4. Irregularities are galore in English. Why do we say "cat" as singular and "cats" as plural but "mouse" as singular and "mice" as plural. Why are some words the same in singular and plural such as "sheep" and "sheep". Why are some words capable of having multiple plurals such as "fishes" and "fish". I can say "I played." but I can not say "I runned." In almost every present tense verb conjugation, the verb is exactly the same for every person. I run. You run. We run. They run. Except, of course, the third person: He or she runs.
  5. English does not have cases. In other languages, cases are forms of the nouns that show what part of the sentence they are in. Take for example the following sentence: The boy eats the sandwich. The boy is the subject. The sandwich is the direct object, because it is the thing being acted upon. We know the meaning of this sentence by word order. Switch it around: "The sandwich eats the boy." and strange images appear in your head. In other languages, you -can- switch it around because the nouns have endings to show whether they are the subject, direct object, and so on. English doesn't have this. Oh wait, yes it does, but only for pronouns and a single fucking interrogative pronoun. Why don't we say "Do you love I?" Why does "I" become "me" if English is not a language with case. Also, whom! Why does 'who' become 'whom' as an object but the other interrogatives stay the same. "By what do you travel" and not "By whath do you travel?".

There's your linguistics lesson for today, scrubs.

P.S. Stop bitching about "should of". You know what he means, so your bitching is only for attention.

Last edited by Bridget; 11-17-2010 at 01:29 AM.