Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by qui
Evangelion changed my life
Really? It put me to sleep.

Most anime I see is trash. The only ones that have managed to strike me as being really interested and mademe want to watch more were FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. That's pretty much it. And even now I don't have any interest in them anymore.
Yeah, Evangelion annoyed the heck out of me.

Anime is big buisness in Japan, so, like any popular industry, you have to expect that 90% of what is produced, is crap

There is some really good stuff out there, it's just hard to find. It's not helped by the fact that the biggest dubbers (like Funimation) generally murder the series they translate (ex: CardCaptor Sakura, One Piece, etc)

We had a topic not long ago about this, so I'll link to my post in it (rather than retyping everything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Right now I'm not watching too much. Just Blood+ TV, which has been quite good. Also watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, a Western animation on Nic that is really good.
Yeah, Avatar is surpisingly well written and animated. Too bad it's stuck on a channel like Nik. Oh well, here's hoping it doesn't go the route of Invader Zim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't see how anyone could hate anime, though. Anime comes in pretty much every genre you can think of, just like books or movies or television. I love action and sci-fi stuff, and anime has some great shows to check out like Ghost in the Shell.
I think a lot of the hatred of anime is because of the fact that DBZ, Pokemon, and YuGiOh are about all most westerners see, and so they conclude all Anime sucks.

Plus, Anime has a very different way of telling a story, that is rather "un-western" - for example, starting in the "middle" of the story (and thus the first 3 or 4 episodes are usually confusing as all hell), and the "non-happy" or plain nonexistent ending.

Finally, it's "cool" to hate something that suddenly becomes popular.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote