Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
My response to WheelOfTime in the Catecombs thread:

http://forums.thecatacombs.net/showt...66#post1662266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catecombs Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelOfTime View Post
Another problem I suspect, is that the current populated pubs seem to be run by those dreaded crazy Nazi pub admin types. A few of the current pubs share a super TFC banlist, and I have rarely been able to join a FF pub with people because of this issue.

There are roughly 2500 players on this banlist as evidenced here:

first page: http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/ot_banlog.php
last page: http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/ot_b...fset=2550&typ=

The banlist dates all the way back to 2005, and a ban resulting from either TFC, TF2, or FF is spread across all their servers in every game. It effects Old Timers Clan server, [AE] server, and at least a 3rd whose name I cannot recall.
Oh come on Ben, this is a complete fabrication. The [AE] Server has never, to my knowledge, ever used our ban list. Now, if you are banned from the [AE] server, and some other third party server, that simply means three independent sources didn't care for you.... There's seems to be a common link between those things, You.

Quote:
I can imagine people who used to play TFC spending the time to download FF, trying to join a pub and seeing themselves banned already, then immediately deleting the game thinking its broken or something.
This made me laugh.

Quote:
Not to mention carrying bans from TF2 loses pubbers that may want to move from TF2 to FF. From what I gather, I am banned simply because I was on the STA banlist at one point.

Cheese 9/16/07 3:00 pm Permanent STEAM_0:1:3613037 Clan Administrative Directive #2
Actually we do not have your STA bans on file. Your complete record is available here:

http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/scuz...AM_0:1:3613037

I've updated the general ban reason that everyone sees on the ban page to reflect the original ban. You were warned and slayed by the server several times about language and intentionally ignored them to get banned. Since you did so intentionally the server auto-banned you perm. The second clan administrative ban was done through a different automated process that didn't check to see if your account was already banned. Ironic that the system found two reasons to remove you.

Quote:
Take a look at "Last Connection Attempt" on the left with respect to "Date Banned" more to the right. There are people banned a year or more ago trying to connect recently.
Absolutely, and the regulars who enjoy our environment are exstatic that people who want to camp respawns, use exploits, cheats, hacks, etc are not returning.

Quote:
Remember this banlist spans at least 3 "popular" servers, which is a good chunk of the US FF server list. It is possible your player base could be doubled or more simply be removing this banlist from the effected pubs, and then trying to advertise again.
Again, another lie. AE and the other popular servers do not use the [o-t] ban list to my knowledge. If you have been banned there they did so for their own reasons.

Quote:
I realize it is not under the FF developers control if pub people want to have a Nazi-style server with bans dating back to 2005 from TFC, and its also not under their control that people happen to congregate on these types of servers, but it's definitely a problem. If you want more players you need to talk to these pub admins.
Our rules were in place LONG before FF was released. Everyone in the FF forums derided our server and chanted and danced at how we'd become obsolete once FF was out because no one would play there. The irony those same people are now bitching and whining that they can't play in our server. The fact that we are popular is a clear indication that our target community (the people the [o-t] want to play with) are comfortable playing in our server under our rules. They like that individuals who are a problem and a distraction to their fun are removed and never return.

We host, and have hosted, one of the beta servers the development team uses to work on the game. We provide custom update interfaces for them and a host of other things to help them out. Don't try to blame the [o-t] for it.... or at least outline for us what YOU have done to promote the games development.
I also posted the true log file when he claimed we were lying, and pointed out that he and redneck probably did more damage to the community as members of myg0t then any other issue we as a community have faced.

Aside from that I believe we already ran the numbers and found there are an extremely few (less then 10?) people that have been banned in our other servers that tried FF later on, so this entire argument is a moot point.

Scuzzy