View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockrocks View Post
That's just the internet dude. That's not a problem with FF. If you haven't been called a nigger while playing video games, you have been playing with pussies. Censorship doesn't belong in a game which has murder as an objective.
Well it IS a problem with FF, it's just not something you can patch. Some games have different concentrations of assholes. FF has a relatively high percentage. I've played a lot of Quake Wars and only very rarely encountered people talking / acting like idiots.

As for people not talking like that being pussies, get real. I'm really sure people like Fatal1ty and pro gamers call people niggers routinely during matches. I've probably played UT2004 more than any other multiplayer game and I'd say out of the best players I've seen, maybe a maximum of 10% of them actually talk like that. The rest were actually playing the game rather than participating in another round of white trash theater.

Generally there is NO correlation between how the player talks v. how good their skill level is. It's not really about censorship (for me anyway). The only thing calling people niggers or cunts or whatever randomly means is that you're a dipshit. Some people like playing with dipshits. Some people are proud of being dipshits and like to defend their right to continue being dipshits. Other people prefer not to play with dipshits, thus that's where the debates stem from. I don't know what the reasons for it are, but I think the FF playerbase clearly leans towards the dipshit end of the spectrum, or at least they're more vocal. Just look at the dozens of ban appeals posted in the forums for OT or the reasons given on their massive ban list.

While it's a noble enough goal to try and enforce better behavior, I think the reality is that getting players to act civil in FF means it would cut the already small playercount to half, if not less.
chilledsanity is offline   Reply With Quote