View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #51
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
The bottomline of a business is... their bottomline. You seem to think that a corporation is like a car dealership, and there's a huge number of salesman. No, there's different departments that demand different types of qualifications. Some departments require employees to do nothing but sit on their computer all day. Some guys are out in the field pitching their product. Of course a business has a vested interest in hiring a smooth-talking, well-dressed guy to be their sales guy, but corporations are not just made up of executives and sales guys. Corporations commonly employ people who do nothing but come up with ideas for marketing, or business expansion, etc.

You're arguing from a fundamentally flawed position from the very beginning. What Bridget was trying to do was shatter the concept that appearance is mutually exclusive with output. This is patently false. As I said above, Google is an example of where they let their employees dress however they see fit, and they're one of the most successful and creative businesses in the world. Their workers are smarter than your average corporate workers, and they make a boatload of money.
Two things are wrong with the above. 1) Just because it works for Google doesn't mean it works for all businesses. 2) I haven't ever stated that individuals and companies who agree that a person will never come into contact with customers or vendors and allow their employees to wear whatever they want is a bad thing. Bridget and I are discussing an business position interview in which the company itself requires a standard of professional dress. If you disagree that the company shouldn't take into account what they wear to that interview I'd like to hear the argument, otherwise I'm not sure what you're even talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron
When did I ever say, or imply, that you're looking to hire unethical workers? I didn't.
Right here:

Quote:
The thing is, like I said, it's not about hiring the 'best' worker, it's about hiring the conformist who won't ask questions when he sees or does something that is ethically questionable,
Quote:
I said a corporate work environment is homogenous, they favor hiring workers who are conformists. Conformists naturally don't question the higher-ups--that would mean they aren't conformists.
Wow, you've never lived in a corporate environment. I have, and in many, and although I and my coworkers dress appropriately for business we have often questioned and disagreed with our upper management. I've on two occassions told a superior I would not do as they asked because it wasn't ethical and had to involve human resources... If you have worked in a corporate environment I really feel sorry for the companies you've been at, what a horrible place to work. I, and know one I have ever known, has ever worked like that.

Quote:
This is the most ridiculous argument I've seen in weeks.
Only because you know the answer is: I'd hire the guy that would be less of a distraction, no matter how minute.

Scuzzy