D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
If their job requires it, absolutely. Causing distractions, turning customers away by your appearance, these are legitimate business concerns. Businesses aren't there to help you work through "finding yourself", they are there to make money, period. Doing so requires a level of conformity and comfortability in the workplace.
The bottomline of a business is... their bottomline. You seem to think that a corporation is like a car dealership, and there's a huge number of salesman. No, there's different departments that demand different types of qualifications. Some departments require employees to do nothing but sit on their computer all day. Some guys are out in the field pitching their product. Of course a business has a vested interest in hiring a smooth-talking, well-dressed guy to be their sales guy, but corporations are not just made up of executives and sales guys. Corporations commonly employ people who do nothing but come up with ideas for marketing, or business expansion, etc.

You're arguing from a fundamentally flawed position from the very beginning. What Bridget was trying to do was shatter the concept that appearance is mutually exclusive with output. This is patently false. As I said above, Google is an example of where they let their employees dress however they see fit, and they're one of the most successful and creative businesses in the world. Their workers are smarter than your average corporate workers, and they make a boatload of money.

Quote:
That's a huge stretch, if you don't hire "Bob the nosering guy" you're looking for unethical workers. Come on, you know better then that.
When did I ever say, or imply, that you're looking to hire unethical workers? I didn't. I said a corporate work environment is homogenous, they favor hiring workers who are conformists. Conformists naturally don't question the higher-ups--that would mean they aren't conformists.

That doesn't make them unethical. It makes them.... conformists.

Quote:
Given a choice between to equal candidates should the business hire the guy that everyone will talk about (lost productivity) and perhaps not be comfortable around or the guy that they will? Which pick would be in the best interests of the business Tron?
This is the most ridiculous argument I've seen in weeks. In the workplace, people already talk about each other. If you think a guy with a tattoo on his forearm or nose-ring is going to lead to a statistically significant loss in productivity, I wish to know what substance you're on, and where I can get some.

What I'm talking about, is a the individual productivity of the employee in question. If you have a potential employee who has a nosering and listens to heavy metal in his spare time, but was 30% more productive than an equally qualified guy that played the corporate image game.... it would be a very poor business decision to not hire the nose-ring guy. The amount of added productivity by a single industrious employee far out-weighs some magical productivity loss of co-workers making fun of his man-jewelry.

What a ridiculous concept.