View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #13
battery
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenghisTron View Post
I think you missed my point entirely. Kids who are dumb enough to get into these types of self-harming activities are kids that won't be affected by laws or ad campaigns telling them x is bad for them. They already know the consequences, they don't care about the consequences. They are seeking short-term satisfaction.

On an ethical level, I also disagree with using FORCE to tell someone how to live their own lives. Is it sad what arises out of steroid abuse from a young age? Certainly. But how is using FORCE to tell someone who is of competent and sound thinking that they can't do something, even if they think it's in their best interests.

Obviously this axiom doesn't apply to EVERYTHING (mind/mood altering drugs, etc.) but I think it stays pretty true, especially for victimless crimes.

Ethically, and epistemologically, it's wrong to force people to make them live their lives a certain way, especially when they don't even care about the consequences. Nothing short of state-sponsored violence (or threat of violence) will stop someone from doing something, in which case you have just become the bigger public enemy.

I concede that some kids will do drugs, cigarettes and steroids regardless of the consequences. However, the reality is that most kids are spineless and they are easily molded by their peers and mass media. We can protect them with such simple solutions.

For the more unruly teens, society can consider other strategies. Yes, it will be tough and costly, but these kids form a minority, fortunately.

My belief is that teenagers should not be given full freedom until they turn adults. Parents, in conjunction with the government, has complete responsibility and control over teenagers' behaviors.

Regarding adult abuser of steroids. They are adults, and they have votes. Every citizen must be prepared to defend his self-interests against democracy. Democracy allows more influential citizens to get what they want at other citizens' expenses. Democracy is not justice. America has chosen to elect a democratic from of government, so I do not feel morally wrong to take advantage of the system. I don't give a damn about steroid abusers, so I have no qualm throwing them into jail for personal choices like injecting steroids. I want my teenager to live in a society where steroid abuse is taboo and shameful. I don't mind drawing upon the power of democracy to accomplish this. Adult abusers have votes and therefore can defend themselves against people who think like me. The can take care of themselves. I feel no morally duty to consider their interests, as long as we insist on playing by democratic rules.
________
Teen Xxx

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote