View Single Post
Old 09-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
yfni

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
I don't really understand what this would do. US players that want to play euro pickups already do. The ones that don't currently do that by choice (can't speak for euro players, but I'd assume there is some of the same thing going on).

I understand that the pickup community is split between EU/US. But, there is no reason that the communities are split other than US players not joining/playing in the EU channel and EU players not joining/playing in the US channel. Forcing togetherness will not change the fact that the majority of the split, in my mind, is by choice rather than anything we can fix through a unified meeting place.

Also, west coasters like myself ping 180+ to euro servers, which is pretty debilitating.

I don't know. I'm not against it, I just don't think it'll have the impact you are excepting. People can already play in whatever channel they choose. If they are not choosing to do so now (it's not hard to connect to two IRC servers), what makes you think they'd do so if it were slightly more convenient (and also slightly more restrictive if I'm understanding correctly)?
It's very tempting to add to a pickup that's already started. So as a result it will fill faster. And yes it's more convenient, some cannot be bothered or do not know they can connect to two networks at the same time. Some people do not know their ping is very acceptable on the other side. Most Americans are actually quite nice. Same goes for the Euros. And always playing with or against the same people gets old. Barrier to join a pickup is lowered.

If you mean with Restrictive the following, then yes. Things spiral out of control quickly. People are very brave behind their PCs.
I don't propose some sort of nazi-admin regime. I just want to avoid conflict as much as possible. So you can say whatever swear words you like. Just don't direct them at others...if you have a problem allow the admins to deal with it or swear at each other in private. Basic idea is when you have a disagreement with someone and you cannot reach common ground just agree to disagree as opposed to calling someone stupid. Because that where it starts . So arguments are fine just don't make it personal. Rage quitting and all that crap will not be tolerated neither will doing anything that intentionally ruins the pickup. But this is all covered in pickup rules. Just expect them to enforced.

playing with 180 ping is indeed probably quite painful but how does this affect you if you look at the timezone thingy. Also take into account the added benefit of having more euros play in your pickups.
yfni is offline   Reply With Quote