View Single Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #19
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
The abbreviations are fine, but the amount of different gametypes is not a good thing if you're hoping to attract a solid new player base.

The best mods have always kept it simple and had one or two modes that lasted throughout their lives. The modes were always easy to learn but difficult to master. The skilled players could play them on a totally different level to the new players and there was always something to learn or an area to improve. The new players could easily learn the gameplay and play a part for their team as well as having their own fun.

Right now you have so many different game modes it's going to end up confusing and it could also end up harming the quality of an otherwise very good mod.

You should be looking at three gametypes at the most initially, all of which should be easy to understand and exciting to play whether you are a veteran or a newcomer.

This doesn't mean I don't like some of the new gametypes, I do. The ID gametype is far superior to AvD as far as I'm concerned and I would much rather it was one of the chosen three than the classic AvD.

I would personally choose CTF, CP and ID as the main gameplay types. CP being Capture Point maps like CZ2 (not sure if there is a superior abbreviation for these or not).

Those three modes are all easy to understand, none of them are particularly similar to the other, all have a much higher replay value and they lend themselves far better to competetive play as well.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote