View Single Post
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Found a letter to BluesNews I sent in 1999

While searching for some quakeworld stuff, I found a letter that I sent to bluesnews back in 1999.

http://www.bluesnews.com/mailbag/081899.shtml

Quote:
Subject: Quakecon and GCON

I went to Quakecon this year, and I went to Qaukecon last year. This years event was lame. I signed up the night that the signups started. I was number 1084, after the culling a month ago I went to number 634, on friday when I showed up I was told that so many people did not show up that there were open spots in the tourney. I asked if I could bring in my machine, the answer was "NO, you can not bring in your machine" I walked around for about 45 minutes. Only a little more then 1/2 the tables where being used. If someone with the 512 number did not show up, no one was allowed to take his place on the network, but could take his place in the tourney. The people that were over Quakecon let a bunch of no - shows ruin it for the rest of us. If you look at the numbers, I went from 1084 to somewhere within the 512 number. Theat means that around 600 people droped or did not show up.

Gcon, next month in Beaumont Texas. There is going to be a Q2 - Q3 tourney, the grand prize is a new loaded machine. Door prizeses will be given away also like new joysticks. Unlike Qaukecon, if you signup you can bring your machine. The event will be held in the Beaumont civic center.
http://www.pernet.net/~revy/gcon
When I wrote the letter I was rather pissed off. I made the 5+ hour drive to quakecon, only to find out that they were not letting people move up within the 500 limit. I was around 512 on the list. When I signed up I was around number 1084. So during the cull period, over 500 people had been dropped out. What the cull period was - between the time you signed up and before quakecon you would receive an email You had to reply to that email saying you still wanted to attend.

I was not very impressed by the people running quakecon holding seats for no-shows. They were accepting people in the tournaments, but they were not letting non-tournament people bring their computers.

This was almost 9 years ago. You never know what you will find on the internet.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote