Thread: Already dead?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #106
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm definately getting tired of ff_well and yes, it is a bit too small. My favorite map is probably crossover, a map I used to see alot, but I haven't seen any server run it lately, not in europe anyway.

The looks of FF imply that it's a serious game, while it hardly is in terms of realism. I think this creates a confusing effect for new players because it's doesn't really match. TF2 is a bit too much, but if you look closely at TFC, the outdated graphics/models/physics and whatnot add alot to the 'lol'-factor when something ridiculous happens. The custom models would also sometimes add to the humor factor.

Currently, FF looks like it's for hardcore clanners, because it appears so grim, mainly due to the dark and realistic nature of the textures (both maps and players). Compare ff_well to aardvark and you'll see what I mean. The fact that the game somewhat tries to be realistic (rag dolls, physics, weapons, sounds) while it's gameplay is not, makes it somewhat less appealing or 'fake'.

For instance, look at the HWguy, in TFC he looks like some dumbass fatty that's been using too much steroïds while the spy looks like some robot ninja from the future. Not only the model, but also the animations contribute to this feeling. The engineer looks badass and the scout... I don't know, but his looks fit his role in the game if you know what I mean. In FF, they look way too serious IMO with realistic weapons, models and animations.

In terms of gameplay, FF deserves alot more popularity than it does now, but it's appearance could use some work I think.

Anyone care to discuss this view?