Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Nailgun and Traq not shooting at center of crosshair. Issue Tools
issueid=325 11-29-2010 01:59 AM
Nailgun and Traq not shooting at center of crosshair.

When I shoot the nailgun or the traq, it doesn't shoot at the center of the crosshair but slightly below and to the right of it. It might also be true for other weapons but I can't tell because they have spread.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 2.4
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 3
Users unable to reproduce bug 1
Assigned Users Elmo
Tags (none)

11-29-2010 03:04 AM

Everything that shoots a projectile--nails, rockets--shoots from the muzzle of the gun and converges on the crosshair. Instant bullets like shotguns come from the center of your screen. It's not a bug.
11-29-2010 05:31 AM

I've noticed this bug too, it's really irritating when I'm trying to aim properly in a pickup. When can we expect this to be fixed?
11-29-2010 05:41 AM
Stuff Do-er

It's still not a bug. To "fix" it the weapon model would need to be moved to the middle of the screen.
11-29-2010 06:58 AM
Banned

DAT SOURCE ENGINE :B
11-29-2010 08:02 AM
sKeeD

lol its been like that since release
dont think its a bug seeing as how nails coming from the middle of the screen would look bad.
Nail model could be made smaller to look like it actually fits in the nailgun tho
, or maybe even look like a nail, imo :D
11-29-2010 08:55 AM
Banned

It's the Source engine. It's not unique to Fortress Forever.
11-29-2010 09:11 AM

You guys aren't taking this very seriously. This bug has been around since TFC and before, and nobody's ever thought to fix it. I mean, look at all the mainstream games these days, where you pull the gun to your forehead to shoot - they've got it right, you fire from the center of your FOV. I don't know why FF can't be the same.
11-29-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Everything that shoots a projectile--nails, rockets--shoots from the muzzle of the gun and converges on the crosshair. Instant bullets like shotguns come from the center of your screen. It's not a bug.
It's not converging on the crosshair. Unless you mean at longer distances, since I haven't tested that out yet.
http://i.imgur.com/v3RrB.jpg
11-29-2010 04:55 PM
Gets tickled by FF

We should experiment to see at what distance it does converge at and whether that distance is sensible. It should be somewhere around whatever we consider to be a medium range for that particular weapon
11-29-2010 06:10 PM

Raynian: you want iron sights? then submit that as a feature. This is still not a bug. The alternative is to have rockets, nails, etc. shoot out of the character's eyes.

Elmo: I would imagine they converge at infinity. Making them converge sooner would mean either overshooting the crosshair at long distances or making the nails turn in midair (which I think was attempted once with poor results).
11-29-2010 08:40 PM
Gets tickled by FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl
Raynian: you want iron sights? then submit that as a feature. This is still not a bug. The alternative is to have rockets, nails, etc. shoot out of the character's eyes.

Elmo: I would imagine they converge at infinity. Making them converge sooner would mean either overshooting the crosshair at long distances or making the nails turn in midair (which I think was attempted once with poor results).
hmm though as it stands right now its barely converging at all - even at range. Surely it'd be better if we made it converge at some - set - long range than infinity. Personally I'd rather have it be right at some distances than none at all.
11-29-2010 08:42 PM
Gets tickled by FF

I may not understand the problems or implications of that but I feel like it may be better. Cause it annoyed me the other day.
11-30-2010 12:10 AM

It might be interesting if we could trace to the surface you're aiming at and then adjust the firing angle to hit at your crosshair. That could end up being too weird, though.
11-30-2010 09:04 AM
sKeeD

It seems fine as it is, considering you can keep yourself hidden mostly behind cover and shoot nails around the corner while not entirely exposing yourself. Good for taking out sentries and not getting lit up
11-30-2010 02:24 PM
Nade Whore

But it is a bug. It's just a very commonly accepted bug that's been around for a loong time. Try shooting a SG from the right side of t junction in Monkey when the SG is above the opposite opening by barely poking your body out so it can't see you, then destroy it with a nailgun/sng. Now try the same but on the left side T-junction trying to shoot a SG above the opposite side. Impossible without the SG noticing you.
11-30-2010 05:51 PM
Banned

It's not a bug.
It's a feature of the source engine.
Projectiles spawn at the end of the viewmodel for visual accuracy.
12-01-2010 12:32 AM

Why can't you people spot a troll? I think it's fine the way it is.

I wasn't even trying that hard.
12-01-2010 02:07 AM

I'm not talking about where the projectiles are coming out from. I'm talking about the projectiles not converging at the crosshair. So if you aim at a SG with a nailgun, it will slightly miss the target even if your crosshair is on it.
12-01-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian
Why can't you people spot a troll? I think it's fine the way it is.

I wasn't even trying that hard.
Um, here's why:
  • Your post looked just like that of a regular complainer. You made no indication that it was otherwise.
  • I don't know you well enough to expect any better from you.
  • Sarcasm is not apparent in text.
  • Naively, I don't expect people to act stupid for lulz.
  • I don't give enough of a shit to spend my time sorting out actual complaints from "trolls".

A better question is, why are you wasting my time pretending to complain about stupid shit? Grow up.
12-01-2010 02:24 AM

Bridget: what does it have to do with the engine? If you're holding a gun in your right hand, you're obviously going to find it easier to shoot around a corner on your right side. Bullets come out of guns and every FPS engine is going to simulate that.