Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Dustbowl timer problem Issue Tools
issueid=108 02-04-2009 02:28 PM
pmagnvs
Dustbowl timer problem
Timer counts down while in setup mode

In Dustbowl - while the setup timer is counting down, the game clock is also counting down.

This should be changed so that the game clock does not start until the gates open.

I was talking to Soulja last night about this problem and he said to post it here. I said - I thought you were a developer. He said no. So I said then why am I talking to you? Some of the other players got a lol out of that.

But anyway, before the gates in dustbowl open, there is a setup period. I think its like 1:30. So if the teams move through all 3 levels of dustbowl, the offensive team loses 4:30 off the clock.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Not a Bug
Priority Unknown
Affected Version 2.2
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 0
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-04-2009 10:19 PM
Nade Whore

I like this idea. Although, I'm not sure if this could fix some prematch timing errors, or cause more of them.
02-05-2009 03:24 AM
Time Lord, Doctor

This was brought up in beta forums before to possibly try and change to a round based system for timer like tf2 uses.
02-05-2009 01:52 PM
pmagnvs

Last night on anti-citizen I noticed the same thing. The game clock was running as the setup timer was counting down. So the problem is not isolated to Dustbowl.
02-05-2009 05:31 PM

dustbowl and anticitzen both should have timers via lua or mapnam.cfg for 24 or 25 minutes. FF default map rotation time is 20 minutes.

ff_anticitizen.lua

Quote:
MAP_LENGTH = 1436 -- 23 minutes 56 seconds.
But it appears we are missing the time limit for ff_dustbowl. Need another dev to confirm the time limit for ff_dustbowl. cough "trepid_jon"?
02-06-2009 03:46 AM
Community Member

So zip make those maps.cfgs for the next release :)
02-06-2009 01:01 PM

Ok back to the dustbowl/anticitizen time limit it should be controlled via base_ad.lua.

Back to kev's suggestion on dustbowl, this is the way it was set up and scoring was adjusted for the offense to make up for the clock running giving the other team points for setting up. This really should have been a suggestion. When the playing feild is even on both teams in skill and numbers it goes either way so the scoring works if that was your main concern.
02-07-2009 04:43 PM
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
so the scoring works if that was your main concern.
Regardless of the score and how it works, the offensive team is being cheated out of 1:30 on every level.
02-07-2009 06:50 PM

Well it isn't a bug so this should be moved to a suggestion. We have set up times for the defense to help balance out the maps. This is stuff that has been tweaked extensively via beta testing.

Can you post a possible solution?
02-08-2009 03:27 PM
Ray Ray Johnson

Yeah, I think we'll work out a nice solution to this in the future (next patch after 2.3, maybe). It's definitely not a bug, but rather a suggestion. And a good suggestion that's been brought up before as well. It's similar to how in CS now, planting the bomb at the end of a round doesn't actually let the round time end the round, because the bomb then determines when the round ends. And in TF2, how you add time to a map by capping.

Right now in 2.3, it'll just stick to the old way. The only difference regarding a timelimit in AD maps is that servers won't be able to make AD maps use any timelimit other than 24. It'll be locked at 24 minutes, not allowing a change at all. That doesn't balance out the issue of capping CP2 with only a minute left, essentially losing but having to wait for the map to end...wait behind locked gates. Boring, lame stuff, I agree.
02-09-2009 03:35 PM
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 82694
Can you post a possible solution?
For the game timer to pause until the gates open.
02-09-2009 07:10 PM

Interesting Idea.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue