Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Push entity like jumppad for mappers Issue Tools
issueid=124 02-16-2009 08:27 AM
QUAD ROCKET
Push entity like jumppad for mappers
New entity for mappers

It would be cool to have an entity mappers can place in their maps that are used like the jump pad.

Currently mappers are able to use are the trigger_push and that really doesn't work to well for some cases (because it gradually pushes you).

Let's say the new entity will be implemented here is how it could work:

- Mappers place the entity in the map.

- Whenever someone walks on this trigger in the map it will instantly launch them in the direction either specified by the mapper, or in the direction the player is currently moving (this should be decided by the mapper).

So basically the main difference between this idea and a trigger_push is by using this method the player will instantly be pushed instead of gradually. It's the same concept as the jump pad pretty much. Just off the top of my head this would be especially useful in crossover2 when using the 'smoke lift'.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Mapping
Status Implemented
Priority 8
Suggested Version 2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 10
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-17-2009 02:29 AM
Stuff Do-er

Ricochet in FF, anyone?

I support this idea.
02-17-2009 04:31 AM
get off my lawn

Also, if it's jump triggered like the mancannons, you don't have to block travel in one direction.
02-17-2009 10:52 AM

Couldn't you use Lua to modify the player's directional momentum?
02-18-2009 07:05 AM
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB

We basically need Quake jump pads.

Use a trigger_ff_script for the area that triggers the jump, and have a second entity act as the aiming focus for which way it moves. This would be better IMO that just using a static "jump pad" entity so people can make custom brushes to fit their needs (ramps for straight jumps, circles for vertical jumps, etc.)
02-18-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
We basically need Quake jump pads.

Use a trigger_ff_script for the area that triggers the jump, and have a second entity act as the aiming focus for which way it moves. This would be better IMO that just using a static "jump pad" entity so people can make custom brushes to fit their needs (ramps for straight jumps, circles for vertical jumps, etc.)
Agreed, how about a projectile line in which it shows the ARC and direction of the push to the area you could be landing if you took the straight path.

and you could increase or decrease both of these factors.
02-18-2009 08:02 PM
QUAD ROCKET

@Ihmhi: That's what I was trying to get at in my post :D
02-24-2009 09:50 AM
Stuff Do-er

This can be accomplished with player:SetVelocity().
02-24-2009 11:24 PM
FF Whiner

mhmm, are you referring to something which can be found in Quake3 for example? Those jumppads which connect certain areas on the same level, or might even let them push you forward / up / down / etc.. ?

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue