Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Force join a certain team and stop team switch Issue Tools
issueid=120 02-11-2009 03:23 PM
pmagnvs
Force join a certain team and stop team switch

When someone joins a game that is already in progress, make them join the losing team.

Or,

Make them join the team with the least members.

Too many times I have seen people join the winning team, or the team with the most members.

tf2 already has this feature built in. So can the developers add it to FF?

And one more issue - stop people from switching teams when their team is losing. It would not be enough to make people join a certain team, when they can switch teams a few seconds later.

Lets say I join a game, red team is losing, so I have to join red team. And then I have to stay on red team for X number of minutes or until the score is tied.

But, make it so members from the winning team can switch to the losing team.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Suggested
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Suggested Version 2.3
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-11-2009 03:27 PM
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB

Team autobalance has been suggested for a long time - maybe now we can finally put it in.
02-11-2009 05:05 PM
Nade Whore

This has been discussed as far as a sourcemod plugin goes, and the problem with disallowing switching to the 'losing' team is trying to define losing. What if it's OvD and the score is 100 to 0? How would you determine who goes where? So then maybe it should be based on Fortress points instead. but that would require them to be balanced enough to where amount of caps is close or equal to how well the defense is doing.

Another thing is this already exists via sourcemod, where you can't join a team that has more players than the other team, and or you can't switch teams if your team is does not or will not have enough players once switched. Hlstriker(clowneh) created this and I think is available on the e0 server if you want to test it.
02-11-2009 10:11 PM
Community Member

The e0 Server has an auto balance team right now where you can not switch teams. Been working nicely.
02-12-2009 01:50 AM
Exceedingly Correct.

Some form of this autobalancing is most definitely needed.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've repeatedly killed people only for me to see them pop up on my team a moment later. This often makes the teams numbers such as 9 v 6 or 11 v 7. There is no way to stop the 10 v 9's or 7 v 8's but you can stop the difference being so dramatic.

If you're going to auto balance then something based upon fortress points seems the most logical choice, although you might run into issues with class limits on some maps/servers.

What if I was a sniper on aardvark and the server chooses to autoswitch me to the opposition who already have a sniper. Will I still be a sniper or will I be stuck without the class I chose? That's one potential problem I see arising anyway.