Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Possible Spy ability. Issue Tools
issueid=132 02-24-2009 02:17 AM
Heartless Threadkiller
Possible Spy ability.
Allow spy to retain disguise

I had a thought earlier. Why can't a spy keep his disguise IF he/she is disguised as a different class of their own team? This would give the spy a little feature that can cause a bit of confusion to the enemy team, while not being overly obvious about it.

Needless to say, the disguise should be lost if they are disguised as the enemy team. That should not change. Ever.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Suggested
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 9
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

02-24-2009 12:10 PM
QUAD ROCKET

Why hasn't this been thought of before?! Very good idea :)
02-24-2009 11:25 PM
FF Whiner

You have my support on this one, nice idea!
02-25-2009 07:54 PM
y halo thar

I don't understand. What are you saying?
02-25-2009 07:56 PM
Community Member

Disguised as one of your own teammates. You don't loose disguised by shooting someone, you undisguised manually.

Also I approve of this
02-25-2009 09:06 PM
Heartless Threadkiller

Actually, I meant that in several ways.... not just by shooting, but with carrying the flag as well. I thought I put that in the original message, but I guess not. :oops: Sorry about that.

If you are disguised as YOUR team, you would not lose your disguise by either shooting someone, or by grabbing the flag. However, this will not be the case if you are disguised as the enemy team.... that would remain as it always has been.

Sorry about the confusion.
02-25-2009 09:25 PM
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB

I like the idea, but the Spy has more than enough toys to work with as it is, you know? It's like giving the HW Guy a RPG. He's already a beast in his own right, do we really need to make him more powerful?
02-25-2009 10:08 PM
Community Member

Won't make him more powerful, just a little extra that a few will use in the end
02-26-2009 02:32 AM
Heartless Threadkiller

There's no benefit to the spy, except that unless you toss a spy pill.... the enemy team won't know your team has a spy. You still are limited to the spies weapons.

A really good spy could use this... and even a newer person could make use of it. You're still showing which team you are on...just not which real class you are playing.

I am honestly kicking myself for not thinking of this 2 years ago.
02-26-2009 07:47 AM
FF Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I like the idea, but the Spy has more than enough toys to work with as it is, you know? It's like giving the HW Guy a RPG. He's already a beast in his own right, do we really need to make him more powerful?
More powerful? His best skill is entirely dependent on another class existing on the opposite team and that other person has to be unaware of his surroundings in order for it to be of any use (or be new).

He's much like the scout. Useful during specific parts of the game but lacks long term weight. He thrives on misinformation but can't give it without giving away his disguise. The class works well in pub games but so does the sniper.

I don't see how being disguised as a friendly X and retaining that disguise after you pick up the flag is anything negative. That's misinformation. That's what the spy should excel at instead of being a jack of all trades.
02-26-2009 06:45 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

I like this idea as long as the spy still loses his disguise on contact with a Scout or another Spy regardless of what team he is disguised as, on that condition I definitely support it apart from the potential issue I posted below.

What would happen if the Spy shoots his nailgun when disguised as a friendly Demoman? If nails come out that gives him away instantly, so that leaves either fake pipes coming out (that do no damage) or the Spy ensuring the gun he does shoot matches that of the class he is disguised as.
02-26-2009 07:54 PM
QUAD ROCKET

I think when the spy uses his weapons with a friendly disguise, the weapon models should change to the spy's weapon. Then when he's done shooting the weapon model will change back to a model owned by the class he's disguised as.
02-26-2009 08:37 PM
Heartless Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by xks
I like this idea as long as the spy still loses his disguise on contact with a Scout or another Spy regardless of what team he is disguised as, on that condition I definitely support it apart from the potential issue I posted below.
Absolutely agree with you. Normal disguise removal MUST remain intact. It's part of the balance.

Quote:
What would happen if the Spy shoots his nailgun when disguised as a friendly Demoman? If nails come out that gives him away instantly, so that leaves either fake pipes coming out (that do no damage) or the Spy ensuring the gun he does shoot matches that of the class he is disguised as.
Actually, since this only holds true for only Friendly disguises.... they are going to shoot at you anyway.
02-26-2009 11:23 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

Yes but what will happen model/sound wise, I know you'll get shot at, but it has to do something if you click the fire button ;)
02-27-2009 10:08 PM
Heartless Threadkiller

Oh, you will shoot whatever weapon you have displayed on your HUD. That's part of the balance. If you are trying to be sneaky, you need to work around situations like that. It's like sneaking around as the enemy.... there are things that can give you away, if you aren't aware of them.

A skilled spy could probably make good use of a feature like this, but it won't really hurt a noob, either.
03-06-2009 12:37 PM
Exceedingly Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Oh, you will shoot whatever weapon you have displayed on your HUD. That's part of the balance. If you are trying to be sneaky, you need to work around situations like that. It's like sneaking around as the enemy.... there are things that can give you away, if you aren't aware of them.

A skilled spy could probably make good use of a feature like this, but it won't really hurt a noob, either.
Ok so regardless of what weapon is displayed, the moment you shoot the weapon immediately changes to the real weapon you hold and it shoots as normal?

This could create the situation where certain models are holding guns they aren't well animated to hold. A HWGuy model might not support holding the Spy's pistol for example.

I'm not worried about the balance part, more how it will actually function as I saw the potential for some visual bugs or disorientation which wouldn't be very good.
03-06-2009 06:12 PM
el duke.

I don't see this making the spy more powerful at all either-if at all incorporated.

1) SG's would still recognize the enemy/friendly disguised spy with our without the flag

2) Enemy team would still recognize an enemy player

3) Enemy scouts/spies could still undisguise the enemy even though that doesn't necessarily matter due to already being disguised as the opposing team.

I don't see anything changes with imbalancing the spy than what the class can already do. It only gives the spy more choices to be an actual spy ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
Won't make him more powerful, just a little extra that a few will use in the end
I agree, geo. Gives more options and by the end i bet only few will choose to use because it requires the user to do more on their end of the deal.

It could really make some mass confusion during flag movement if played out correctly on the spy's part. ;)

Something we could maybe test out in the beta at some point in time.
03-07-2009 02:07 AM

No more spy boostz plz..
03-07-2009 03:17 AM
Community Member

read above, not really a spy boost