Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Remove Bunny Hopping. Issue Tools
issueid=255 01-08-2010 04:44 AM
Remove Bunny Hopping.

* Remove Bunny Hopping. (or at least a feature to enable/disable bunny hop when creating a server)
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 26
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-19-2010 08:21 PM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

Remove bunny hopping? How about we remove grenades,make everyone walk and call this game Team Fortress 2? Can't change such a vital thing of FF's core gameplay.
01-19-2010 09:22 PM
Banned

Yeah because walking and lack of grenades is what makes TF2, TF2.
01-20-2010 07:04 AM
The Crowbar Commander

Actually that's pretty accurate. Walking around seems to be all TF2 has
01-20-2010 12:26 PM

Walking (or running I should say) is what every game has and revolves around. why add a crazy speed movement that your forced to use all the time... when it simply enough to just press the move forward button. (and theres really no disadvantage for using bunnyhop... unlike rocket jumping and so on which damages you)

I've tried the game without bunnyhopping and I actually like the pace so a server side option to turn off bunny hopping is I think a good comprise.

Scout already has the launch pad, he can still conc jump and he can already move faster then any class. So he still has the speed advantage.
01-20-2010 01:04 PM

What's a move forward button :D
01-20-2010 01:06 PM
AKA LittleAndroidMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnbeholden
Walking (or running I should say) is what every game has and revolves around. why add a crazy speed movement that your forced to use all the time... when it simply enough to just press the move forward button.

I've tried the game without bunnyhopping and I actually like the pace so a server side option to turn off bunny hopping is I think a good comprise.

Scout already has the launch pad, he can still conc jump and he can already move faster then any class. So he still has the speed advantage.
Besides the fact that there's probably 0 people that actually agree with you--I'm curious, how many combined hours do you estimate you've played TFC/FF?

The way I see it, is bunnyhopping, air control, etc., make this game what it is, and without it, it would be another bland FPS. This game has so many dimensions, and movement skills make it so much better.
01-20-2010 09:14 PM
Who the fuck is this guy?

You thinking bhop turns new players off of the game? How do you imagine a player would react if they went from a "no bhop" server after a few hours of play, into a bhop server? The entire mechanics of the game is being changed between servers if such a cvar should exist.
01-21-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian
Drippy's 2fort in TFC had a anti-bhop system, where if you were above x speed in the middle of your jump, you'd get slowed down.

Just about everybody fucking hated it.
Well all the _good_ players hated it ;) The noobs liked it a...lot, and Drippy's was (is?) one of the longest running, longest lasting and most popular TFC servers ever. I like bhop, and the game wouldn't be the same without it, but - I think honestly TFC mass popularity would have been sustained longer (or in the case of FF, grown more) without it. It's really a choice of 'deep/hard/rewarding' vs 'simple/easy/less-rewarding' - the devs can choose (have chosen) one path or the other, neither is really inherently right or wrong. Just a choice.
01-21-2010 01:10 PM
Title title title title

This game was meant to HAVE bunny hopping sir.
01-21-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnbeholden
My logic is that of what it has always been. Make FF more popular (and not adhere to a minority) and make it more friendly to newer players, at the same time have things that make it unique and provide a different experience to that of TF2.

is my logic so far fetched? so difficult to comprehend. I must be a alien...
Just a heads up, I think you're wasting your time. I kinda had the same speech as you have now when I was still around. I wanted this mod to have a huge fan base and I was ready to change the gameplay as much as needed. I was in it for the fun of working on a mod that gets good and popular, not just working on a mod that replicates the TFC gameplay on source. I tried to convince ppl inside the team as much as I could to take a new direction, make it easier for newbies, remove bhop to slow the game down a little, lots of ideas to make this game more popular, more accessible etc...

The fact is that even if it was 100% sure the game would have 50,000 players just by removing bhop, they would still not remove it. Because they don't really want this game to be popular if it means changing it's core gameplay. It's that simple.
01-21-2010 06:42 PM

selling out is not an option. if you dont want bunny hop go play tf2 simple as
01-22-2010 05:11 AM
Ambassador of Everything.

Person suffers from Nucking Futs Syndrome, or NFS.

*Clicks 'against feature' a million times, 500,000 clicks down the mouse breaks, so he buys another mouse and continues*.
01-23-2010 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Eye
You thinking bhop turns new players off of the game? How do you imagine a player would react if they went from a "no bhop" server after a few hours of play, into a bhop server? The entire mechanics of the game is being changed between servers if such a cvar should exist.
Exactly. I'd setup my server with "BHop disabled" in the name, so that everybody would know before they joined what kind of server it was. If they like BHop, they'd stay away. If they hate it, they'd seek it out.

I'm still not seeing what's wrong with choice.
01-23-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel
I'm still not seeing what's wrong with choice.
nothing is wrong with choice, when it's not something that is the basis for pretty much every single movement skill in the entire game. It's like trying to disable killing in the game...the game is about killing, you can't remove that or you are going to have a completely different game.

Also, you all do realize that this has been "rejected," since squeek posted right?
01-23-2010 08:40 PM
Who the fuck is this guy?

2 votes for, 21 against.
01-24-2010 08:56 AM

Are people honestly comparing TF2 to TFC? Last I checked you couldn't bhop, conc, rocket jump or grenade in that shitty game.
01-24-2010 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killu
Are people honestly comparing TF2 to TFC? Last I checked you couldn't bhop, conc, rocket jump or grenade in that shitty game.
01-30-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
Just a heads up, I think you're wasting your time. I kinda had the same speech as you have now when I was still around. I wanted this mod to have a huge fan base and I was ready to change the gameplay as much as needed. I was in it for the fun of working on a mod that gets good and popular, not just working on a mod that replicates the TFC gameplay on source. I tried to convince ppl inside the team as much as I could to take a new direction, make it easier for newbies, remove bhop to slow the game down a little, lots of ideas to make this game more popular, more accessible etc...

The fact is that even if it was 100% sure the game would have 50,000 players just by removing bhop, they would still not remove it. Because they don't really want this game to be popular if it means changing it's core gameplay. It's that simple.
Ow well. I tried, I feel like the time I was trying to convince the Christians that god doesn't exist... some peoples views are rock solid and not open minded enough.

I've lost my interest in games anyways, so I guess it doesn't really matter.
01-30-2010 04:48 PM
Gets tickled by FF

we are open minded but its not what's wanted by the majority of those that play and develop the game. I don't think it's anything about being open minded.

That said you could consider the close minded argument to work both ways (to accept why we'd want to keep the game as it stands).

Saying that someone is close minded can only ever be an assumption you make about that person. I hate that kind of argument - yet I also make that judgement about people all the time...
01-30-2010 08:13 PM

Yep, good point Elmo.

Hey Elmo, do you guys still happen to have the source for my ff_carnival map? I'd like to try to load it up and record a video to put in my "I did this in another life" box.

It looks like I lost all of it in a reformat. :(
I found a vmf which I doubt is the latest version but couldn't find a lua file at all. Then there's the texture set that's gonna be missing too... so like, I'd appreciate if you could look it up for me since I don't have access anymore.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue