Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Snipers Issue Tools
issueid=338 04-03-2011 01:53 AM
Flamer of Worlds
Snipers

I'm surprised why no one posted this yet. The sniper rifle does too much damage a lot of the time, so cutting it down may not be such a bad idea.

30-175 (30 at 1 second 175 at 5 seconds) damage sounds reasonable in my opinion, it's enough to take out MOST classes, Pyro, Soldier, and Heavy are the exceptions. (possibly medic, spy too)

I'm unsure as to what the absorbtion ratio is for armor. But a fully charged sniper rifle shot will leave a fully healthy and armored soldier with 25 health sometimes. Or oneshot him outright.

I'm just getting tired of getting one shot when I'm stupid enough NOT to keep the agility on my side. Cutting down the damage like with the Flame Thrower should make things more dynamic on a battlefield.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Classes (Scout/Engineer/etc)
Status Suggested
Priority 7 - Med/Low
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 1
Votes against this feature 1
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

04-03-2011 03:48 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised why no one posted this yet.
04-03-2011 06:00 AM

agreed, and with the weaker flamethrower too.
04-03-2011 03:57 PM
sKeeD

If the snipers bullet were to take time to travel to its target and drop over a certain amount of distance, then that elimanates the hitscan aspect of the weapon where you just point and click and actually makes the sniper less of an annoyance and a more skill oriented class.
04-04-2011 08:10 PM
Flamer of Worlds

That's less irritating. Still a one shot class, if it DOES hit.
04-15-2011 07:34 PM
Everyones favorite FreaK

Making the sniper too weak would make it very unappealing to play, it can fully charged one shot and kill (to the body) every class apart from Soldier and Heavy Weapons, which I think is appropriate considering the charge time to shoot.

It takes skill to be a good sniper, you need to train your reactions, so you can aim and shoot in less than a second if required, to kill concing scouts or other snipers.

It's one of the few classes that you can be so skilled at, people accuse you of cheating ;), which is basically a complement. I love them, especially when people go spectator :D

And for the idea of bullet drop, it would be unfair to apply it JUST to the sniper, consdering the sniper rifle is the the most powerful weapon in the game, it would make no sense if it was the only weapon that was so weak that the bullets begin to drop over distance, despite the huge damage. Even Nail guns manage to have enough power to send a nail in a straight line across huge distances.

And the sniper shoots so fast, as in as soon as you let go of a charged shot it instantly hits the target, you can't see the bullet, the sniper would have to be greatly slowed down to compensate for bullet drop. It would just kill the class.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue