Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Infinite Ammunition Reserves Issue Tools
issueid=301 07-13-2010 01:47 AM
Banned
Infinite Ammunition Reserves

My suggestion is implementing a system that allows for infinite ammunition reserves. I don't mean infinite magazine ammunition. Essentially, you can go around blasting people with your Super Shotgun. You're still limited to 14 shells in the magazine, but can always keep the gun reloaded from an infinite ammunition reserve. There are some weapons that fire straight from the magazine. You can give these weapons some sort of a 'fake reload'. Here's some ideas:

Assault Cannon: As the gun gets closer and closer to 0 magazine ammunition, it burns red and steam rolls off of it. Once it hits 0, it takes a few seconds of downtime before cooling off with some more rounds ready to be fired.

Flamethrower: After 100 points of flame ammunition has been expired, the Pyro lowers the flamethrower to reload the weapon. This lasts a few seconds before he pulls the weapon back to ready.

Nailgun: Make this weapon magazine based. There's a horizontal magazine on the side. Animate the player pulling it out and jamming a new one in. Make the magazine capacity like 15 nails at a time or something. Same goes with the magazine on the super nailgun.

There's a problem with weapons like the Grenade Launcher. Players could potentially sit there spamming out one projectile at a time as the game automatically reloads one pipe into the launcher's magazine at a time. I don't have a solution for this.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status On Hold
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 5
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-13-2010 02:38 AM
QUAD ROCKET

I like this idea but I'm not sure it's necessary. Personally I never have ammo problems just because I usually get more ammo whenever I run to get health. This could open the possibility of removing backpacks altogether and replacing them all with health shards or something (ex: Quake).

Then again, this probably wouldn't be too good for the engineer and league play.
07-13-2010 03:17 AM
Stuff Do-er

We talked about this a fair amount on the dev forums a while back and we agreed that we'd like to try it. It's on a list of things, but I'm not sure when it'll get into the beta.
07-13-2010 03:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlstriker
I like this idea but I'm not sure it's necessary.
It isn't necessary nor is the idea suggested because of problems. I'm just saying it would be nice if done later on in development as a way to polish the game up a bit and remove finite ammunition, which has become somewhat redundant due to the fact that this suggestion is emulated now by huge ammunition counts.
07-13-2010 06:19 AM

clip based nailgun would be interesting, it would prevent scouts, medics, and spies from taking out sg's from a distance.
07-13-2010 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
clip based nailgun would be interesting, it would prevent scouts, medics, and spies from taking out sg's from a distance.
And the problem with that is...?
07-13-2010 08:04 AM
Stuff Do-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity
A clip on the nailgun would actually make the engi/SG vs nailgunner dynamic more interactive. The reload would give a break in the nail stream, allowing the engi to stop wrenching the gun to do some other thing of his choosing, like getting more cells, charging the nailgunner, railgunning, etc.

Adding clips to guns that don't have them is definitely something we are going to test at the very least.
07-13-2010 06:01 PM
1-800-UNAGIPOWA

I think its so classic that a dev would shoot down an idea because it's not necessary with all the crap that's been added for 2.5
07-13-2010 07:49 PM
Gets tickled by FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeshjoir
I think its so classic that a dev would shoot down an idea because it's not necessary with all the crap that's being tested for 2.5
I'm sorry we're trying things out. I guess we just shouldn't bother with anything at all?
07-13-2010 08:20 PM
Stuff Do-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjeshjoir
I think its so classic that a dev would shoot down an idea because it's not necessary with all the crap that's been added for 2.5
The phrase "I'm not sure it's necessary" is not shooting down an idea. Plus, hlstriker just came back to working on FF from a long break. Infinite ammo has been on the agenda for testing at some point since November 2009.
07-13-2010 08:46 PM

I was leaning towards infinite ammo a while back, but then I realised its such an intuitive mechanic that adds subtle depth to the game.

Also as squeek says, I think it'd be interesting to add clips to the nailgun / flamethrower / AC, but it's not possible without reload anims
07-13-2010 08:50 PM
UI Designer
Front-End Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
I was leaning towards infinite ammo a while back, but then I realised its such an intuitive mechanic that adds subtle depth to the game.

Also as squeek says, I think it'd be interesting to add clips to the nailgun / flamethrower / AC, but it's not possible without reload anims

Go abuse Ryu
07-13-2010 08:59 PM
Nade Whore

I'd also like to make an addition to this, specifically for the sniper and assault rifles. Adding a magazine or a bolt action-type reload would be better than the current sniper rifle, and the assault rifle desperately needs a magazine of some sort.
07-13-2010 10:36 PM

yeah the assault rifle is in the same boat =]
07-13-2010 10:51 PM
Keep On Keepin' On

Magazine for the flamethrower? Yes please.
07-15-2010 01:47 AM
Nade Whore

Well it could be a new tank for his flamethrower. That tiny tank must empty out quick.
07-15-2010 03:27 AM

If it gets tested and decided on that we will have this, I'll make the animations.
07-15-2010 08:14 AM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

Wouldn't this sort of slow down the pace of the game a bit? -1
07-15-2010 09:21 AM
Gets tickled by FF

not really. It'd be more about depth, being careful not to waste shots. Right now you can just hold down down the mouse running with most guns so long as your picking up bags.

But that's the point of testing, if it had an adverse effect then perhaps we wouldn't do it.
07-15-2010 09:50 AM
A Very Sound Guy!

i'm in agreement with this. can i just raise the question of building cells for the engineer, though?
07-15-2010 10:02 AM
Stuff Do-er

Cells would be the only "ammo" in the game. Backpacks could be removed and instead we could have hunks of metal or something, which only engis would have to worry about (or we could allow teammates to help move cells around, etc).

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue