Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Bug

Dustbowl is laggy Issue Tools
issueid=401 07-27-2012 01:42 AM
Nade Whore
Dustbowl is laggy
The map ff_dustbowl, it is laggy

Laggy, is the map ff_dustbowl.

Basically, every couple minutes, it seems like this map always causes a lag spike to everyone in my server. I've seen this happen on other servers as well, and this seems to be the only map that does it.

I remember this happening a long time ago before the 3D sky box was removed. Once that was removed, it fixed the lag issue, but later on, the 3D sky box was readded with potential fixes to prevent the lag. Well, the problem continues.
Issue Details
Project Fortress Forever
Category Mapping
Status Unconfirmed
Priority 5 - Medium
Affected Version 2.42
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

07-31-2012 07:55 PM
I like to spam binds

Lag or framerate reduction?
08-19-2012 11:28 PM

I can't imagine why that would be the cause, since it's nothing but a few displacements and brushes. If you disable 3D sky in Fortress Options, does the problem persist?
08-20-2012 12:22 AM
Nade Whore

I remember the 3d skybox was removed in a previous version of FF and the map not having any issues, so I would assume doing that again would fix.

But, I love the 3d skybox, so while it's a temporary fix, I'd certainly love to see the skybox problem fixed altogether eventually.

I'll try disabling 3d skyboxes in my options to see if that helps at all.

EDIT: 3d sky is turned off in my Fortress Options, but I still see a 3d skybox on dustbowl. Is that normal?
08-20-2012 11:48 AM
Gets tickled by FF

I think one of the FF options pages might be broken in 2.42 (my bad). I know I fixed it ages ago but it's been ages since 2.42 so I dunno what version it was actually fixed in... or did I fix it at all?!

iirc console command is something like r_3dsky 0
08-20-2012 07:49 PM
Nade Whore

Ok, I typed that in console, changed the map to dustbowl and no more lag spike issues.
08-27-2012 02:04 AM
no war but class war

It's interesting how the 'crummy' 3d sky can still cause slowdown in this day and age.. guess our version of source doesn't scale well?
09-08-2012 03:23 PM
Nade Whore

Looks like the version it was re-added was 2.42:

Quote:
- ff_dustbowl: 3D sky scenery has been restored.

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue