Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

Remove Bunny Hopping. Issue Tools
issueid=255 01-08-2010 03:44 AM
Remove Bunny Hopping.

* Remove Bunny Hopping. (or at least a feature to enable/disable bunny hop when creating a server)
This issue is closed. No more replies may be made.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category General Game
Status Rejected
Priority 10 - Lowest
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 2
Votes against this feature 26
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-31-2010 10:51 AM
Gets tickled by FF

I'll have a look for it. send me a PM so I can leave it unread to remind myself (not got access right now)
01-31-2010 08:21 PM
Ambassador of Everything.

I haven't had one case where a bhopper has been a nuisance simply because he's bouncing all over the place.

But I will say that in all the games where there was a 'block', it does prove to be quite a nuisance when I'm simply trying to scale a set of... say, a stack of crates. Or simply trying to jump out of the way of incoming fire.
02-01-2010 10:38 PM

how about this for a compromise, if you dont want bhop on your server, raise gravity until you cant jump at all, then everyone can walk around and look at each other
02-02-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnbeholden
Lets have a analysis of FF and see what we can do to make it better and thus give everyone the experience that we all so remember to the first year of TFC.

I don't see how FF is going to dramatically increase its player base over TFC considering it's so similar. The FF team says they made an effort to get more new players, but it's obvious after playing the release that it was tailored just for the tiny TFC community circa 2007. It carries over all the old movement exploits from TFC.

"Conc jumping" was a part of competitive TFC play during its first two years of release, but all the newer things that where discovered like "bunny hopping", "skimming", etc... was not. Most people who were playing the game in 1999 quit after the new exploits were discovered. The game became less about teamwork and more about who could figure out how to move 2x as fast through the maps. Why bother grouping up and working as a team when you can just outrun everyone? Why bother using Scout when every other class can move as fast?

Valve tried to correct the exploit in the 1.1.0.8 patch. Unfortunately it couldn't be removed completely. It was reduced as much as possible without changing the engine.

A lot of the current TFC crowd obviously thinks that TF2 is made for n00bs because it doesn't keep all the old exploits. The thing is that as fun as TFC is, it has serious balance problems. Valve knows this and is attempting to give us finely tuned balance and emphasize teamplay. But TFC definitely needs a gameplay refresh instead of a direct port. Giving the people who dislike TF2 an option for something a tad more serous.
i remember reading almost THE SAME EXACT THING somewhere else on the internet. sry i have no proof.. but plagiarize much?

i do agree with you tho
02-02-2010 01:24 AM
Banned

You most likely read it on the general forum when the forum author posted it there first. It got locked there due to being in the wrong forum and was requested of to be moved here. It's best not to accuse people until you have the proof, though. It makes you look bad.
02-02-2010 04:37 AM
Ambassador of Everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marxist
how about this for a compromise, if you dont want bhop on your server, raise gravity until you cant jump at all, then everyone can walk around and look at each other
That made me laugh. +10.
02-02-2010 05:49 AM
Slayer of humans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrots
i remember reading almost THE SAME EXACT THING somewhere else on the internet. sry i have no proof.. but plagiarize much?

i do agree with you tho
google much? Its not that hard when think you've seen something before. Highlight some of it, copy it, goto google, paste it into the search box and then search

It was on moddb
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fortress-forever

And guess who it was by? Yup you guessed it...
The same person (or at least same user name) as posted it here. on Jan 19th this year.

Thanks for the laugh though, I really needed it. :D
02-02-2010 01:37 PM
NeoNL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane
google much? Its not that hard when think you've seen something before. Highlight some of it, copy it, goto google, paste it into the search box and then search

It was on moddb
http://www.moddb.com/mods/fortress-forever

And guess who it was by? Yup you guessed it...
The same person (or at least same user name) as posted it here. on Jan 19th this year.

Thanks for the laugh though, I really needed it. :D
Carrots isn't the smartest person around here ;)
02-23-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN
He has a good point. His point that I took away form it was that bhopping drives new players away from the game. This is ture and no matter how many old school or new school TFC players argue about it is true. I get that he is trying to come up with ideas to increas the number of FF players by catering the game to do so. We have to face facts that there are only a handfull of pubs that get hit hard everyday and it is the same players. Now someone new will jump on occasionally but after getting slaugthered for two hours straight the decide the game isnt for them. There is documnetation and training on how to become better but 99% of new players are not going to read that shit. The thing that makes TFC2 and games like Call of Duty so likeable is that you can jump in and do decent your first time playing. The games were made to do so. FF is a class based skill level game which means you have to play the class over and over again to get better and better to learn and master the skills and then to move onto other classes. Gamers of today dont have time for this shit. There are too many games to compete with thus if you cannot provide some satisfaction for new gamers they will not play as we can all see is happening. The old school TFC loves bhopping but what needs to be addresses is HOW TO GAIN NEW PLAYERS!!!!! I understand you cannot piss off your core gamers but people need to fucking understand that some things are going to piss you of that need to be implemented to grow the community. If the community does not grow steadily this game will surely die.

dh
problem with small comunity games like this is, the 'regulars' dont like this or that and this should be ok and its in the game so why not, its only a bind etc. well most new people who play this play it like it love it then all of a sudden some idiots come on and pwn everyone flying at 300mph untoucble, hw's that fly as fast they loose and as a result they leave, and when someone asks or complains about people obviously exploiting somthing, they are ridiculed and called and slanderd until they leave the server/game. Those people should be banned from the FF network to give the game a chance!
02-23-2010 06:39 PM
A Very Sound Guy!

ok, i've closed this issue, as it's devolved from feature request into a full on debate.

personally i don't see the point in continuing to debate this further. however, if anyone feels the need, then feel free to open a thread in the main forums.
Closed

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue