Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Projects > Fortress Forever > Feature

footsteps Issue Tools
issueid=363 08-03-2011 06:23 PM
footsteps

we used to have footsteps in tfc and they were too important while defending. u could clearly hear them and set yourself according to where u are hearing it from.

now in ff, all u can hear is sounds of priming nades/concs (which is audible from an unnecessary distance btw).

its a very important issue imo (it used to be v important in tfc)
it would be very appriciated if footsteps can be heard clearly and directional.

maybe some of unnecessary sounds could be lowered for this, i dont rly know.
Issue Details
Issue Type Feature
Project Fortress Forever
Category Sound
Status Suggested
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Undefined
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 4
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users Elmo
Tags (none)

08-03-2011 06:35 PM
ka1zeN

I agree with raum.Hearing footsteps clearly would be useful for positioning and makes players focus on sounds.
08-03-2011 08:32 PM
NeoNL

Later TFC years leagues started doing footsteps 0. There is footsteps in FF but like before they were put as 0 (if I recall). You have the choice to enable them, just prepare to be bitched at by some people
08-03-2011 09:41 PM

This. I want this added so badly. Also, I want the sound you'd get in tfc from someone nearby taking fall damage (the loud 'crunch'-ish noise). Example - playing basement solly on 2fort in TFC, you could practically do it with your eyes closed. In FF, it's near impossible.
08-03-2011 09:57 PM

I thought footsteps were enabled by default, but just quieter than TFC. I believe this was done as a compromise between the USA and EU TFC league scenes. EU had loud footsteps and USA had no footsteps. We wanted to bridge the gap and unite the community so footsteps were put in but made reasonably quiet. I favour loud footsteps because it allows players to more accurately judge their environment, but you could also argue it's because I'm from EU and biased towards what i'm used to :)
08-03-2011 10:29 PM
NeoNL

There is footsteps in FF, as I said before, they are just set to 0 in all normal cfgs used today because that was the norm for later tfc play which carried over. Sad because I really prefer footsteps on
08-04-2011 01:49 PM
WhenNailGrenWillOut?

What's the point of footsteps when everyone bhops anyway?
08-04-2011 03:39 PM
ka1zeN

What's the point of gaming when everyone focused on hats instead of pro skills and techniques?
08-05-2011 10:39 AM

What's the point of non sequitur TF2 bashing when it makes our community look really stupid?
08-05-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh
What's the point of footsteps when everyone bhops anyway?
easy.
there also was a hop sound in tfc as well. so u were able to hear incoming player by his footsteps if he was running, either by the sound that he made while bhopping.

only way to avoid being heard was to duck or walk. it makes perfect sense. either u sacrifice your speed if u wanna do sneakier attacks, or take advantage of diving aggressively into the defending player. and maybe even defending player relies too much on footsteps or bhop sounds, ull have more chance if u just be quiet. its better for both attack and defend to have more variations.
08-05-2011 01:33 PM
ka1zeN

What's the point of posting a reply that isn't related to topic our smart community member?I again agree with raum about walk/duck tricks.
08-05-2011 02:17 PM
Nade Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raum
only way to avoid being heard was to duck or walk. it makes perfect sense. either u sacrifice your speed if u wanna do sneakier attacks, or take advantage of diving aggressively into the defending player. and maybe even defending player relies too much on footsteps or bhop sounds, ull have more chance if u just be quiet. its better for both attack and defend to have more variations.
exactly. don't want people to hear your footsteps, then duck or walk...
08-09-2011 08:41 AM

any developer thoughts?
08-09-2011 01:38 PM
NeoNL

Turns out footsteps are on by default. They are just extremely quiet

Issue Tools
Subscribe to this issue